Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simon, our 11 week Cavachon pup, has been home with us for nearly five days. Things are going well, as can be expected for a puppy.

My children (10, 8, and 5) are enjoying him, but they're not too fond of him jumping up on them when they sit to play with him.

Is there something uncomplicated I can tell my kids to do or say when Simon does this?

Thanks!

Heather

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
When he approaches and is about to jump they need to lean into his space and do a little "cha cha" move toward him. This is not a foot stomping cha cha... more of a quick movement. See if that works.

Another good thing to do is to train the dog to sit reliably. This means over training sit every where you go so that when he goes to jump they can ask for "sit" instead. Every one of your children need to train it so the dog will generalize it to each child. The sit needs to also be trained in a lot of different locations. Ask for sit when dog is approached. If dog gets up anyway to jump, lean into his space and do the cha cha thing and again ask for the sit.

BTW, What the Heck is a "Cavachon????"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts