Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our four month old Great Pyenress mix loves to jump on us,and guests when she greets them. I was told that when a dog or pup does that was to put your knee up and butt her in the chest and yell "NO". I don't want to be cruel in any sense.Is there a better way than this?

·
Registered
673 Posts
my 9 month old dog has always done this. She's really good with me but not for anyone else. The only thing I can think of why she doesn't with me is I ignore her when I come home or when I head to the back yard and ignore her. I find ignoring her first thing and giving her attention when she has settled down must be doing it. Others will say "hi Dakota!!!" and I think it gets her more excited. I tell visitors to ignore her first thing too but do they listen! no....

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You can take several approaches on how you want her to greet guests. The most common is teaching her to sit politely and then she gets petted by guests. Others teach the dog to go lay on a mat as some guests don't care for dogs and would rather not have them in their face.
Train the behavior you want. Practice on leash with just her...no guests yet. When the sit or down are very reliable then bring in a 'guest'...still on leash. Use treats and praise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts