Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you prevent your pup from jumping up when people try to pet him?
We live in a neighborhood with many dogs and people who always want to pet the puppy.
I get him to sit prior to anyone approaching him, but as soon as they try to pet him he wants to jump up and greet them. I'm afraid that he will hurt someone. Last night he jumped up and hit me in the chin as I held him tightly while a 4 year old was trying to pet him.
We use a martingale collar which does no good in this situation.
Any suggestions as to how I can get him to continue to sit and remain calm while being petted? He does the same thing around other dogs. He gets nuts and runs and jumps in circles when he tries to play with them while on his leash. Maybe he thinks since he acts that way around dogs that he can behave that way around humans? I'm not sure but need to break this bad habit. He's only getting bigger and stronger!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

·
Banned
306 Posts
Have the same problem. There is a thread above which addresses it. I think you have to get people to assist you in acting as decoys. Important to get on top of this because it will haunt you for the rest of its life if you don't. I mean I wish I realised how important it is. Last resort is paying a dog behaviourist who may use a clicker. Too expensive for me though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There is a very simple technique for this. When your dog jumps you need to turn your back and pay them 0 attention until they stop jumping, and then reward them. This takes some time but they learn quickly, once they are used to it with you they will stop with other people.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
My foster dog is a big boxer and was a major jumper when we got him. We require that he sits in order to get any attention at all, inside the house or out. Inside the house you may need to leash him when guests come over. Keep a leash by the door and when someone knocks, leash the dog, holler "just a minute!" so your guest doesn't leave, and have the dog sit. Tell the guest, or strangers outside, that the dog is in training and must sit in order to receive attention. My foster hardly jumps at all anymore. It's difficult as strangers will say "oh I don't mind" but if they won't follow your directions to not pet the dog unless it's sitting then say Thank You and promptly walk away. You don't need strangers mucking up your training and confusing the dog. If the dog does jump, the person should turn their back while you give a No Reward marker such as "oops" or "ah-ah" and have the dog sit again. Reward the dog the *instant* he sits with a treat or attention. You may need to back the dog away a few steps to get its focus back. Your dog will get really good at this with practice! You can practice with him by jumping up and down and being excited (gradually increasing in intensity, start with a little hop), and if he breaks the sit then give the No Reward marker, turn your back, and wait for him to sit. Your dog will learn that excitement = sit!

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Another technique I've seen but never used is when there is a guest, throw pieces of kibble on the ground. You have to get the timing right so that when your dog looks at the guest (with interest, and you can tell he really wants to go and greet/jump), 'reward' by throwing more kibble on the ground. That way you're capturing the moment BEFORE your dog jumps and are rewarding that. Also, it shows the dog that all good things come on the ground, with four paws firmly planted. And you would have to keep on throwing kibble on the ground as long as the guest is remains an interest (ie while guest is entering the door, walking down the hallway, sitting on the couch, etc.) so it's a process that takes a while and it totally requires guest cooperation, like with the sit technique. And you need to keep your dog on a leash because for some dogs, jumping is self rewarding so they reward themselves when they jump on people, and then they also get a reward when they sit. A food reward may eventually outweigh the jump reward, which is how I got my dog to stop jumping (I have him SIT for everything too), but it should be easier if your dog NEVER gets the chance to jump on a person and gets ALL rewards from being on the ground.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts