Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you live with a normal, average dog, who isn’t hearing impaired, he/she is probably going to be afraid of the noise from fireworks.
Some preparation now might help your dog on July 4th, New Years, etc..

Download some fireworks sounds. Play them very softly – maybe softly enough to where you can’t hear them at all. Give your dog some tasty treats.

If your dog seems fine with this after a couple of days, then try turning the volume up a little higher and continue to treat. Keep doing this for a couple of days. Don’t turn up the volume until you see your dog getting really excited and happy when he/she hears the sounds. Jean Donaldson calls this a conditioned emotional response.

Be sure to keep your dog “below threshold” – as you do this. If the dog starts to look upset or starts displaying calming signals like lip licking, yawning, etc.. you have moved too far, too fast. Moving too quickly can be counter productive.

If this works, there could be a downside. Your dog might want treats all night on July 4th. Of course, that’s probably better than shaking and barking all night. If you do start seeing improvement before the 4th, you might try doing other fun things other than treats - like a game of fetch. Then you might be able to play fetch in the house while fireworks are happening.

Also experiment with different types of fireworks sounds – whizzing, crackles, bangs etc..
Seek help from a qualified behaviorist.

How do you comfort your dog on July 4th, New Years, etc..?

·
Registered
44 Posts
My dog hears thunder on a regular basis and it doesn't freak him out. I've only had him for one 4th of July and here is what I did. My dog has a doggy door and he can come in and out whenever he wants. I left him inside with the TV on and the volume turned up pretty high. That way the volume of the TV should cover sound of most of the fireworks going off. I came home and everything was still like I left it, no freaked out dog and no torn up house.

If a dog does freak out with loud noises I would do the TV trick and keep the dog in their crate since for most dogs their crate is a "safe" place.

·
Super Moderator
12,066 Posts
I am skeptical of desensitizing a dog with recorded sounds. For many dogs, it's the low frequency vibrations that frighten them. Unless you have a helluva stereo, that's hard to simulate.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I am skeptical of desensitizing a dog with recorded sounds. For many dogs, it's the low frequency vibrations that frighten them. Unless you have a helluva stereo, that's hard to simulate.
Yup.

Plus, I seriously doubt there is enough time between now and the 4th to effect any positive results. Some of the yahoos by me have already started.

What I once did with a severely affected older dog was to build a sound attenuated crate (scrap lumber and cellulose insulation) and install stereo speakers. I put the "soundproof" box in the quietest part of the basement, put on some calming music (Montovani's 101 strings--bought for the purpose), and tranqed her up good. She rode out the holiday in much better shape than her usual vomiting, bowel/bladder emptying style. It didn't eliminate her anxiety completely, but it worked well enough that I'd do the same thing again if I had a dog that panicked at the sound of firewiorks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts