Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 13 week old Jack puppy.
He is the cutest thing.
I started training him the day i got him at 7.5 weeks.
Things like sit and come and reinforced them with treats.
He still does sit well, but the come command has almost no effect.
He comes when he wants to. I trained him on a leash. Say come, one slight tug on the leash,
And reward him when he gets there with a treat.
I finally got him to come with no leash and no treat.
That didnt last long though.
Anyway, i have him going to an obedience class when he turns 16 weeks, and im wondering if i should continue putting training ideas in his head, or just wait until the class. I dont wanna reinforce bad habits. I was going to buy a clicker today and start doing it that way cuz i have a little experience with it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
but the come command has almost no effect.
He comes when he wants to.
Welcome to the world of JRTs. XD

I have no idea about the training class, because I always tought my own. I would assume you would still want to train him till the class starts.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I have a 13 week old Jack puppy.
He is the cutest thing.
I started training him the day i got him at 7.5 weeks.
Things like sit and come and reinforced them with treats.
He still does sit well, but the come command has almost no effect.
He comes when he wants to. I trained him on a leash. Say come, one slight tug on the leash,
And reward him when he gets there with a treat.
I finally got him to come with no leash and no treat.
That didnt last long though.
Anyway, i have him going to an obedience class when he turns 16 weeks, and im wondering if i should continue putting training ideas in his head, or just wait until the class. I dont wanna reinforce bad habits. I was going to buy a clicker today and start doing it that way cuz i have a little experience with it.
Here is how to teach Come using a clicker. What you seem to have taught him is that the tug means come. Without the tug, and without a leash, he's not going to come. You can easily change that.
http://www.clickertraining.com/node/309

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Have you tried training the recall with a toy instead of a treat? Toys are more "fun" and simulates prey drive, so they usually create more motivation and drive than just using treats. Especially for a JRT, because they have high prey drive anyway, so it would be a good idea to get him used to being rewarded with toys as well as treats right from the start.

So you could call him, reward with a nice game of tug when he comes. Or call him and when he orients to you run away with the toy dragging on the ground so he has to chase it. Or just run away from him as you call him and when he catches up present the toy. Or have someone holding him while you run away from him, call him and the other person lets go, then reward with a game when he gets to you. You could also throw a treat into the corner of the room, let him run over and eat it, then call him and run away from him and reward with a treat that is higher value than the one on the floor or with a toy.

Start with very small distances, like normal leash length away, then increase the distance between you and the puppy as he gets better at it. Only call once, in a happy voice, and if he doesn't listen, go over and grab his collar to get his attention, then call him again and run away from him and reward heaps. And only call when you think he will come, so don't call when he's chasing something or has his head buried in a scent, go and get him instead of calling him.

The thing about the recall is that you shouldn't have to rely on the leash to tug on him to force him to come. The recall needs to be something fun so that the dog will choose to come, because then he's much more likely to come than if you used force and tugging. JRT's are very smart, and it won't take long for him to figure out that he only needs to listen when he's on leash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wish I had this forum when my JRT's were babies. Let us know how everything works out. My dogs trained me I think. :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts