Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a two and a half month old mutt, border collie pit bull/maremma golden retriever. She is SO SKINNY. You can feel all her ribs and her spine. She does have a round little belly though. She went for her shots about a month and a half ago and the vet gave me a de wormer and told me not to worry about her weight. I feed her about 4 cups of food a day, she also gets breath busters and other little treats when we work on commands. She was in a litter of ten, and I've seen three of her brothers recently and they are all at least twice her size, not just in weight but in height and length. Could she be the runt? she is going to see the vet again soon for her next set of shots so I'll be sure to bring it up again...I almost want to start feeding her more, but I know it can be bad to over feed...

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
If your vet said not to worry about her weight, I think I would trust that.

Doing a fecal is always a good idea. Especially with a thin pup with a round belly.

"Thin" means different things to different people. I get a ton of crap about having a dog that's too thin only to go to agility and be told that I have to take more weight off of him.

I'd trust my vet. They are usually quick to say "too thin" and slow to say "too fat."

·
Registered
11 Posts
you better deworm him. Since I really hate touching those ribs when I can feel them which makes me sad also knowing that the dog is not healthy.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I have a two and a half month old mutt, border collie pit bull/maremma golden retriever. She is SO SKINNY. You can feel all her ribs and her spine. She does have a round little belly though. She went for her shots about a month and a half ago and the vet gave me a de wormer and told me not to worry about her weight. I feed her about 4 cups of food a day, she also gets breath busters and other little treats when we work on commands. She was in a litter of ten, and I've seen three of her brothers recently and they are all at least twice her size, not just in weight but in height and length. Could she be the runt? she is going to see the vet again soon for her next set of shots so I'll be sure to bring it up again...I almost want to start feeding her more, but I know it can be bad to over feed...
Now worming might have changed but usually they worm once to kill adults and then 10 to 14 days later to kill the egg cycle. Sometimes a pot belly also indicates worms Again this is online stuff and not to change or interfere with Vet instructions.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Sounds like worms, but . . . You can feel the ribs and spine on a dog of healthy weight, you just shouldn't be able to see more than the last one or two. This website includes pictures and weight ranges for a number of breeds.

Always listen to your vet. People tell me on a regular basis that my dog is too thin. He's at a perfect weight as per my vet, people are just used to seeing fat dogs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
She may just be hitting a growth spurt. When our Josie was around that age she was all legs and bones. We just fed her as much as she would eat. It was science diet at the time and she was getting 6 cups a day. She was very active though and needed it. Since she always stopped when she was full and sometimes left food behind we just let her eat as much as she wanted twice a day. Our vet thought 6 cups was a lot then took one look at her and said to keep it going until she was 10 months. Now she is down to about 3 cups a day and doesn’t ask for any more that that. But still have a stool sample checked just in case. Your vet may even do it without having to bring her in and getting charged for a visit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
sometimes this skinny effect can cause them lack of interest of eating which can make them ill and weak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts