Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met my new SDP on Tuesday. His registered name will be Joplin von Eichenluft, but I call him Mahler. He should be home in the next week or two (currently 7 weeks).

In the next two years, it is my hope that Mahler will successfully complete his training to become the successor of my current service dog, Strauss.

He is a Bandit Wolfsheim x Sabre Eichenluft son.

These first two pictures were taken right after I had collapsed right in front of him. I went down like a sack of hammers, and he got up with no hesitation, and came to check me out, little tail wagging :)

After some snuggling and playing, he went off not far from me to lay down and rest.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be documenting a lot of his training on video, as well as through my blogging (and, offline, I will have a daily training log), so you will see plenty of Mahler :)

My blog is going to have a weekly post that is entitled "Holler at Mahler", which I will be starting today. It is going to serve as both an update for people as to how I'm training and what I'm training with Mahler, as well as leaving things open for questions people may have :)

http://twitchandshout.wordpress.com <--My blog. If cursing offends you, this blog may not be for you ;)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Oh he is beautiful!!! :)

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Am I looking at a little Sable rascal.
You are! And the timing is great :) I wasn't expecting a puppy until summer, and was getting REALLY concerned about the timing (for Strauss's retirement). If everything works out as expected, Strauss will retire on his 10th birthday in 2014 :)

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
You are! And the timing is great :) I wasn't expecting a puppy until summer, and was getting REALLY concerned about the timing (for Strauss's retirement). If everything works out as expected, Strauss will retire on his 10th birthday in 2014 :)
My Avatar (Tommy Tanker) Herreneiche background was our last Shepherd who just happened to be a sable.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
What a cutie! He's going to be a handsome dog. I've looked at a few of your blog entries - very nice, you're a great writer. Would you mind if I share it with a friend who also has Tourette's and teaches special education courses to future teachers?

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Share away :) The blog is meant to be shared. In fact, if your friend would be willing to talk to me, I'd LOVE to talk to them. I don't meet many other twitchies, online or in the "real world". There is not a lot of information on TS, and I'd really love to pick the brain of anybody who may know more about this particular disorder :)

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Xeph, my son has Tourettes, along with O.C.D and A.D.H.D. When I just read your blog I was surprised to learn that you have tics that cause collapse. I've not run into that before but it seems to be a condition that takes on different symptoms in each person. Large motor control is often affected. I was also involved in special needs teaching and dealt with numerous Tourettes affected teenagers, some barely and some very much affected. My son is very much affected. He is in University currently.

I've learned alot about the disorder but mostly on the behaviour management side. You are welcome to field questions my way. I might have some insight but you might already know much more about this, especially as you are the one with the direct experience.

My son is also one of the reasons for the continuing stream of dogs in our home. We learned early on that dogs and him are a great match.

SOB

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Look at those BIG puppy feet! :O

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Xeph, my son has Tourettes, along with O.C.D and A.D.H.D
That's really interesting! Along with my TS, I've got GAD, SAD, and clinical depression (YAY! >.<).

You are right, SOB, the tics displayed by a person with TS are as individual as the person themselves. I have a couple that are really, really unpleasant. Most are annoying, but tolerable. The collapsing legs may or may not be related to the TS...the doctors don't really know, so they've just decided it's a tic :-/

I am sure that some of my collapses are caused simply by pain and exhaustion.

The doctors are equally baffled as to why my running is relatively unaffected. My feet will drag at times, and I HAVE fallen while running, but the frequency it happens with is significantly lower than when walking.

We learned early on that dogs and him are a great match.
The dogs have really helped me in terms of dealing with my pain. I'm in pain constantly, but I work through it to make sure my animals are cared for. I am also extremely lucky to have a HIGHLY supportive husband who cares for the dogs on days when I truly cannot. While many days I CAN play through the pain, the reality is that there are some days where it is just downright dangerous for me to try and do some of the things necessary to care for everybody.

I'm seeing a pain management doctor now, and am being scheduled for an MRI, and will hopefully be on a pain management medication regimen soon.

I was not diagnosed with Tourette's until I was 22 years old. I am now 26. I have displayed tics since I was approximately three years old...they just took forever to get me a diagnosis.

One of my biggest fears is that this MRI is going to be completed, and it's not going to show that I have Tourette's...in which case it'll be "What DO I have?!". It's kinda nerve wracking, as I've been quite comfortable, if not "happy" with the diagnosis of TS. I mean, after almost 20 years of not knowing WHY I was twitching, the diagnosis of TS was actually very comforting, so to think it may be something else....it's disconcerting.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't often post videos of myself with my dogs anymore, because it does bother me a bit to have to see how I walk now, and knowing (and having video of) how I used to be able to walk. But I wanted everybody to be able to see Mahler traipsing about.

The puppy you hear in the background is Mahler's brother, who I call "Mr Screamy", lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUawZT0dp9I&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Xeph, I just LOVE how perfect he seems to be. So many things pointing to him being suited to the job :)

He is no Strauss, but here's to hoping he'll be an extraordinary working dog and companion for you. He seems well on his way.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just found out that Mahler and Mogwai share a birthday xD Awesome!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts