Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Our 9 mo lab mix (?) puppy (now about 53 lbs and pretty lean) had an episode of limping at about 7 months, and had an xray several weeks later which revealed some hereditary growth-related incongruities in the elbow (the precursors to elbow dysplasia). He has not gotten worse, but still exhibits stiffness and limping after very active days. Still loves to run and play. We're wondering if it would hurt to start him on joint supplements like glucosamine or chondroitin at an early age, given that this is likely something he'll be dealing with for the rest of his life. Are there side effects that people have experienced with these forms of supplements, or known long-term side effects of giving them?

Thanks for any advice.
Maria (and Floyd)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After doing some reading, I'm thinking about starting him on Glyco-Flex I (for younger dogs). Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I would double check with a vet, but I don't imagine it would be harmful. I think Glyco-Flex is a good choice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Called my vet, who suggested that we try the human variety (e.g. the Costco glucosamine and chondroitin supplement), but noted that the research in double-blind trials is mixed on whether it helps. Said it couldn't hurt, but that if it doesn't seem to help we could always discontinue. Also said to give buffered aspirin (ascriptin) with food on active days.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I looked into getting the human variety for George, but honestly have no clue how I would get those massive horse pills down his throat every day. So for me, it's just easier to have a nice chewable tablet I can hand over to him.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Hey there! Sorry to hear about your dog! I give mine Glucosamine/Chondroitin, and fish oil from Costco.
Also, your boy looks SHOCKINGLY SIMILAR to mine! Also a black lab mix(?) and very tall and lanky with that ruff of fur along the side of his face/neck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts