Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a yorkie who's about 1yr & 3months old. She likes to jump....A LOT whether it be when we come home to greet us, jumping off the couches/beds or just running around like crazy. I try to not let her jump too much because I know it's horrible for her legs, but sometimes you just can't be everywhere at once! My question is, is there some kind of supplement or vitamin that would be good for her joints to help strengthen them? I would prefer a chewable tablet. With her being so young still, is it too young to be putting her on some kind of supplement? I just want her joints to be healthy and I know at the rate she's going, she'll likely get arthritis in her back legs, so I figured I'd start now trying to make them stronger.

I've been looking around/reading up on supplements on the Only Natural Pet Store website. I ordered a product for teeth on there and just happened to glance at their vitamins/supplements for kicks. There's so many to chose from that I don't know which one (if any) would be best for her. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I don't think it's too early to begin using joint supplements for prevention. Only Natural Pet has some good ones, too. I actually use a mail-order supplement company called Springtime, Inc. (www.springtimeinc.com) They make supplements for horses, dogs, and humans.

I use their Joint-health Chewables for my 3 dogs. I have one dog that has luxating patellas (as bad as can be without surgery!) and he does great on these chewables. He still jumps on the bed, couch, runs and plays, etc. I also turned my sis-in-law onto these supplements for her old poodle mix, who limped quite a bit, and he is doing great!

I like these supplements because they have all-natural ingredients. They have chewables and some powder supplements, as well.
I use their Fresh Factors vitamin chewable (also has chondroitin in it), their Joint-health chewables, their Stress-free Calmplex chewable, and their Bug-off Garlic chewables.

Good Luck in your search. There are alot of good supplements out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dog is on joint supplements, my vet recommended these:

A Glucosamine and MSM supplement from manufacturers such as Schiff, Sundowner or Synovi-G3. You can get them as treats or pills.

Fish Oil with omega-3 fatty acids with plenty of EPA (check the labels because if you're not careful you may end up having to give your dog 20 of them to get the right dose).

You may have to call your vet to figure out the right dosage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts