Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. :)

I have 3 dogs--a 10 year old JRT X (12 lbs)--a 9 1/2 year old Golden Retriever (85 lbs) and a 5 year old Chocolate Lab X (50 lbs).

I had noticed my golden was starting to slow down recently. He was slower on our walks--and getting up was a bit slower, especially on really cold days. So I made the decision to start him on a joint supplement--and at the same time, transition him to a Senior food to help with the weight issues and to try to keep his weight at a good weight. (Right now he is probably a good 5-7 lbs heavier than he should be). We also had a couple of dogs visit last Saturday when they were out in their fence and they all played cat/mouse through the fence hard for about 10 minutes. The next day, he was SO pitiful (walking like a 90 year old man)--so that is when I went out and bought a supplement for him--as well as baby aspirin to help with the pain immediately.

I picked up the Nupro joint supplement and started it then (last Saturday). So it's a bit early to say if it's working--but one thing for sure is he loves it. And the other dogs hover by his bowl, hoping he will step away so they can eat his food--and I am assuming it is because of the "good gravy" that is on his food and not theirs.

Neither of them (the jrt or lab) have slowness issues--and their weight is good, though I have to watch the little one carefully because she can be an air fern. But my question is--would it be ok to go ahead and give them the supplement as well? I've been reading up on it and I see where a lot of folks give it glowing reports and also state it has helped in other areas, such as flea prevention as well...which would be great because frontline just isn't cutting it anymore. It doesn't work for us, for some reason.

I also understand (more so from owning horses in the past) that too much of some vitamins/minerals/supplements can be a bad thing--and honestly, this is my first experience with joint supplements--well any supplements-- for dogs. They are fed high quality kibble--but they do not eat the recommended amounts on the bag--they eat less.

I guess my concern is--I'm not really looking for specific results for the jrt or lab--but in your opinion is it safe to use for them, just because. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Goldens&Labs4Me

This what has worked for me...

You need Glucosamine ,Chondroitin , MSM human grade from the groc store and not any blend or complex cause you can't tell how much of each supplement you are getting per dose.

I buy Joint support from Kroger , 1500 mg Glucosamine , 1200 mg Chondroitin per dose = 2 tablets and I crush them and mix with 1 tbs of peanut butter. To this I add one capsule of MSM 500 mg supplement, just pull capsule apart and pour on peanut butter mixture and stir in well. I also give one capsule of fish oil 1000 mg also from Kroger. Just put this on top of a high quality kibble that has all the vitamins and mineral your dog needs and you have it. The kibble that you use must contain vitamin E and C . With this you know exactly how much of each supplement you are giving your dog. This is what I give my 65# setter mix (12 yo) and after about 10 days it made a great difference and he started to run and play again.

For the smaller dog use the above mixture only 1 Joint support tablet all else is same.

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
The recommended amounts on the bag of kibble are always on the high side. Wellness Core says to feed a 50lb dog 2C per day (I think), Kabota gets a little over 1C and his weight is perfect and stable.

I don't see why you can't supplement all the dogs, but be on the lookout for side effects. Dogs can sometimes have trouble with them, as can humans. (My mom swells like you wouldn't believe on glucosamine.)

As to the Golden, get that weight down! 5-7 lbs doesn't seem like much, but believe me, it makes a huge difference in the joints of a dog. I had the same trouble with Muggsy, and getting his weight down to the minimum for his frame (ask your vet, this is not something to try blindly) really helped him. Pro tip: dogs can count, but they can't tell the difference between a 1C measure and a 1/2C measure. When I cut Muggsy's food from 4C per day to 3C, I used a smaller measurerer, but the same number of scoops, otherwise he felt cheated.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both.

oldhounddog--thank you for sharing what works for you. I may be better off doing this type of regimen for the dog that needs it. I worry about supplementing the others that really don't...and then when they do, where do you go?

Amaryllis, thank you as well. I realize the 5-7 lbs is too much--even if the numbers don't seem "huge". That is the biggest reason I switched to a Senior formula food for him (FROMM Gold Senior). They do not add glucosamine/chrond/etc to their foods, so I specifically started it for the lower calorie count. We're also trying to cut back on the amount a little and treats. He is my "hoover" and cleans up after the girls, too. So I've cut them all back a bit so there aren't leftovers to clean up.

Hopefully a combo of these things will help and keep him comfortable and with me for many more years to come! :)

Thanks again for taking the time to answer, guys. :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Goldens&Labs4Me ,

Just a note on supplements: When you shop, you will find many bottles that say joint support or something like that. Only buy the one that lists the supplements ( Glucosamine ,Chondroitin ) by mg. and only buy a product that one dose = 2 tabs.

The MSM and fish oil should be a one cap dose.

BTW , I think Amaryllis is very correct...

Best , oldhounddog

1 - 5 of 5 Posts