Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with using supplements for joint health for a dog?? Cody is a Blue Heeler/Black Lab mix. She seems to have a high tolerance for pain (she rarely makes a noise when we accidently step on her toes, for example!). She is 5 years old. But lately she has been limping on and off - not a real noticeable limp, like picking the leg up and not wanting to walk on it. Just a slight limp. I sometimes give her a baby aspirin in peanut butter and that seems to help. I am just wondering if the supplements for joint health have worked for anyone and perhaps we should try something like that for her?? She does quite a bit of running in our yard and does alot of turning and spinning when she runs and plays. I thought she might have sprained something, but again, she doesn't limp all the time. So my first thought is that it could be some joint pain.
Thanks for any input.
Blessings,
Elaine P.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It could be many things with your dog- from a soft tissue injury, tendon/ligament injury, etc.

Best bet would be to have the vet check it out and get x-rays, if you can.

I start all my dogs on joint supplements. Use them from 6 months on up. My dogs are active, hard working dogs that put a ton of strain on their joints. I feel better safe than sorry.

I did have a GSD I had to put to sleep 2 years ago (RIP old friend) that had CHD. Joint supplements kept him off pain meds his entire life. :)

Here is the one I use- I LOVE it, and it is decently priced. http://www.pupsup.com/Canine-HylaSport.htm

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree with Maliraptor.

Last summer my dog hurt her ACL on a hike by nearly falling off the side of the path(only 11 months old at the time). Had x-rays done to make sure she didn't blow out her knee. They prescribed Rimadyl, an anti-inflammatory, for 2 weeks. The Rimadyl did nothing for her, so I did my own research.

I was of the same belief that many people have...that joint supplements fix only arthritis. But what I read said that they are great for prevention and speeding healing time. I put her on my Glucosamin/Chondroitin since I couldn't buy a supp. for her. Within 2 weeks she was no longer limping. in 5 weeks she was able to return to normal activity.

So go to your vet to rule out serious problems, but start a supplement to help your dog heal too! Other brands to look at: Nupro Joint Formula (liver based and tasty!) and Ark Natural's Sea Mobility Jerky (highest dosage Glucosamine US made jerky).

·
Registered
818 Posts
I use Springtime, Inc. Joint Health Chewables for my 3 dogs. Desi has luxating patellas that are pretty bad and this supplement helps him alot. The other 2 benefit from it as a preventive measure. I have tried other supplements, but they gave Desi digestion upset. In fact, my husband also uses the human joint health capsules from Springtime, Inc.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Never hurts to have an unexplained/new limp checked out by your vet...5 is pretty young still, so I'd probably suspect an injury of some sort first. That said, the right joint supplement can make a big difference in a dog with joint pain. We've had the best luck with Healthy Joints K-9 from Thomas Vet Supply (the liquid, not the powder). Sometimes you have to play around with different brands until you find one that works best for your pup.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I was of the same belief that many people have...that joint supplements fix only arthritis. But what I read said that they are great for prevention and speeding healing time. tasty!
Yes, I figure I'd rather have it on board if the body needs it! Like I said, my dogs work hard, and use their bodies quite a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your input! I forgot to mention that Cody has a habit of chewing on her paws at times. Sometimes she just licks and sometimes she actually chews on it, and we are thinking that she sometimes chews too hard and that may be causing the limp. I am going to look into joint supplements for sure - I have been thinking that going the preventative route can't be bad, and you all seem to agree. Thanks again for everything! Blessings,
Elaine P.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts