Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've got an 8 year old (9 in May) Staff x German Shepherd, sounds big and mean but he just looks like a tall Staff, and he's a big ole softy - wouldn't harm a fly.
Anyway he's always been crated since he was a pup, when we go out and at night time. We tried taking his cage away once after he was 'done' but he pined for it, and used to cry for his cage back. So we let him have it back, it's like his den I suppose.
Anyway just last week, for the first time ever, in nearly 9 years, he broke the whole entire front off his cage! So when we got home there he was standing at the door waiting to greet us! We just laughed it off and fixed the cage up as he's a good boy and hadn't done any damage, I didn't think he ever would as he is such a good boy normally.
During that night I heard him rattling away at his cage front and sure enough when I went down there he was roaming about downstairs. (We have a baby gate on the stairs so he wouldn't come up the stairs, he's not allowed anyway).
The next day after fixing his cage up again, my partner came home to find his cage all bust up again, blood all over the sofa because he'd hurt his paw and his nose whilst breaking out of it. Then the baby gate on the stairs was clean off, he'd been to our bedroom and eaten an entire wicker washing basket (not the washing, that was untouched, just the basket!) He had done a poo at the back door which he NEVER does, and been walking up and down in the bath because there was bloody paw prints in it.
It is just completely out of character for him, and I don't understand why he's behaving like this all of a sudden. He's had that same cage since being a pup (it's more than big enough 2'x3') and never attempted to get out before.
He's not reactive to noises, weather, visitors anything so I have no idea what has set him off. Only thing I can think is that I'm 8 months pregnant with my first child, and I'm worried my hormones are sending him crazy (he is 'done' though) and the most worrying thing is what will happen when the baby actually arrives, what if he doesn't settle down? Any advice would be greatly appreciated I'm at the end of my thether with him!
Thanks all

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
How much exercise has he been giving? When my aunt hit 7 months pregnant her dog started acting up because she was getting less exercise then normal. My uncle had to pick up more hours for work and so I ended up taking the dog until my aunt had the baby and a few weeks after that. The dog needed worked on with training as well so it worked out. You could also take the dog to The vet to make sure it is nothing medical wise but to me jt sounds more boredom then anything.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
being 8 could he have some medical issue that is causing him to act out? I would try to see a vet first to rule things out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well he gets his first walk at lunch time when my partners Grandad takes him and then my partner takes him again when he gets in from work, about 45 minutes a time. this hasn't changed for years but perhaps he's bored of the same old route or routine even?
I will book in with the vet ASAP - thank you all

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's not just the motion of walking as far as exercise goes. Perhaps he is mentally bored? Or the walk is more "dog wanders around and sniffs" than anything that has him focused...such as on the human, or keeping up with a certain pace?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts