Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the tease of slightly warmer weather here in Ontario (2 degrees) - I couldn't wait to get outside for a light jog. I have been going down the same country road for years - I go by this one house/farm where they have a German Sheppard. (The only dog I have been attacked by - so not feeling too good) I always keep on eye on this house when running by, because he has barked and started to come down the long driveway in the past - but ususally gets called back. This morning - he comes running and stops at the line of the house. No owners in sight. He sits - and watches me. I think - ok maybe as long as I don't near the property. I start to walk (not run) and he stands up and is about to come forward. Luckily a car went by and he stopped. I am on the other side of the road now, and I decide to walk on other peoples property to by-pass this house. Made it. However, I started to run now that I'm well pass the house and he starts to come for me. Again, another car comes - i flag it down. Lady was great in the car - dog now goes back to his home. When I got home, I got in my car and went back to the house. Dog was there. I didn't get out - honked the horn till someone got out. I needed to meet him - and make friends. I patted him, he wagged his tail - Deisel wanted to jump up and say hello. Plus, I wanted to see how the ownder handled the situation. She said the dog was friendly, gave me his name and when he does that, she said tell him to go home. I did not get the "friendly" vibes from this dog when I was jogging by. I have made friends with the other dogs along this route - they did not come at me threatening. This bad boy scares me a little. Think I'm safe - or is he protecting the property - what should I do?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I have no advice since I'm not an expert and couldn't judge a dog I haven't seen. But I am impressed that you took action on it and met the owner and the dog. Good luck with your next steps.

I wish I thought this would work in my own situation. We're on a country road where neighbors let their 3 bull mastiffs run loose. The dogs are wild and...wait for it....bite the bumper of my SUV when I drive by!! These are not three dogs I'm anxious to meet on foot with my own 65-lb girl. So it eliminates 50% of my options when walking the dog. So rather than deal with people who let their dogs roam in the country, we go to the local school, parks, or police station, which is in a park-like setting where no one would dare have their dogs off leash! Love the cops!!.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Good job on going to meet the owner and the dog, however it's impossible to say if it's safe or not. It's completely based on your comfort level and your perception of the situation. It seems like the introduction went smoothly, so why not try jogging down the route, if the dog starts to follow, tell him to go home. If that doesn't work, and you feel threatened by the dog, do what you did last time, get home safely, and I guess find a new route.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Good job on going to meet the owner and the dog, however it's impossible to say if it's safe or not. It's completely based on your comfort level and your perception of the situation. It seems like the introduction went smoothly, so why not try jogging down the route, if the dog starts to follow, tell him to go home. If that doesn't work, and you feel threatened by the dog, do what you did last time, get home safely, and I guess find a new route.
And carry a baseball bat.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have no advice since I'm not an expert and couldn't judge a dog I haven't seen. But I am impressed that you took action on it and met the owner and the dog. Good luck with your next steps.

I wish I thought this would work in my own situation. We're on a country road where neighbors let their 3 bull mastiffs run loose. The dogs are wild and...wait for it....bite the bumper of my SUV when I drive by!! These are not three dogs I'm anxious to meet on foot with my own 65-lb girl. So it eliminates 50% of my options when walking the dog. So rather than deal with people who let their dogs roam in the country, we go to the local school, parks, or police station, which is in a park-like setting where no one would dare have their dogs off leash! Love the cops!!.
That is really sad the owners let those dogs run loose like that - can't believe they havent' been hit by a car. There must be bite marks on your bumper? I must admit most of the dogs on my run route sit on the front lawns. I have made friends with another German Shepard mix, a golden and a Doberman. The doberman is really sweet - and she actually gets excited when she see me now. I like being able to stop a minute or two to catch my breath, before I'm off again. So, I'm always glad to see her.

At first I was really mad after the situation - wrecked my run. Then I thought, how do I turn this around, as I don't really want to find a new route. So, I knew I had to meet him and make friends. I think I will try jogging there again tomorrow. I have been doing this route for a few years now - and no issues with him. So, perhaps today was a the first and last time I meet Diesel. I hope. Also, if he REALLY wanted to attack me, I think he would have - no? Bringing cookies with me tomorrow. Wish me luck - will let ya know how it goes.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Dogs love to chase, my dogs can be playing in the yard, and if I get up and start running, they will stop every thing they are doing to chase me.

So most dogs are not chasing to cause harm to you. And like you already determined to slow down and maybe even become acquainted with the dog. Do not think it will take away from your run, but add some enjoyment to your run. Instead of bringing mace, or a baseball bat (thats stupid), bring a treat.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I don't think its stupid at all to carry mace....of course I would use it only if I felt the animal was going to harm me...better safe the sorry!.....I'm on the fence about the treat....while it seems like a good way to "win over" the dog..you also don't want to reinforce the habit of following you....hmmm

·
Registered
962 Posts
I should not have used the word stupid, poor choice of word. But jogging with a baseball bat will throw your rhythm off. I could just see giving treats to a dozen dogs and the one day you have twelve four legged joggers accompanying you:D

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I don't think its stupid at all to carry mace....of course I would use it only if I felt the animal was going to harm me...better safe the sorry!.....I'm on the fence about the treat....while it seems like a good way to "win over" the dog..you also don't want to reinforce the habit of following you....hmmm

I agree with you on the reinforcing a habit I don't want with the dog cookies. They are "just in case". My first choice will be to tell the dog to go home, keep walking etc.

I should not have used the word stupid, poor choice of word. But jogging with a baseball bat will throw your rhythm off. I could just see giving treats to a dozen dogs and the one day you have twelve four legged joggers accompanying you:D
Having all those dogs following me would be funny. I would have to charge the owners for excercising their dogs. :p

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
When I go jogging, I have Guera connected to my waist band on my shorts, so I WILL NOT risk my babies life.

I take mace and a very thick stick. When dogs charge at me I show no fear and stomp the ground and jump forward yelling "GET!". Out of all the dogs I have ever encountered... none will challenge me when I do that... they get scared. Now I have had a couple come a bit close and when they do I just run at them and I have had to smack a couple over the head.

I do love dogs to death... but there is no way I would risk my well being or Guera's well being over another random dog.

I have just found that standing my ground and stomping scares every dog I've encountered. LoL... I might look funny... but hey it works!

One of the dogs that charged me was a Great Pyrenees, there were 5 and this one was the bravest one or the "leader" and I came at me... The owner was there and just said "Oh hit him he'll learn" (these people dont care much for their dogs... they are underweight and roam daily) So since he didnt call him off I had to give him a great bop on the head... Since then I havent been chased by them. They see me and run.
nessa

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know Nessa - I wish I could have stood my ground and showed no fear. After I stopped and tried to figure a way out of this - he sat down at the edge of the property, as if to say "I have all day girl - just try and get by me, GRRR". Flashbacks I guess. I thought once he's on me - I'm toast, is it worth the risk? Mace is something I should have in the other pocket. Cookies and Mace or you.:p

·
Registered
172 Posts
i'd keep running the same route and do what the lady said, however....

i'd also carry some pepper spray in case he feels froggy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts