Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I really like the Mini American Shepherds and he's a very nice looking one! The AKC recently accepted the breed for competition do you know if the CKC will be accepting them soon or no?

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Cute puppy!! Wait a minute, I thought the OP (is that for original poster?) said her dog was a Mini Aussie, isn't that a Miniature Australian Shepherd? Because Keechak said "American Shepherd". Don't you mean Mini Aussie? Sorry I'm confused.

Also, I was wondering if a Mini Aussie is the same as an regular sized Aussie?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Cute puppy!! Wait a minute, I thought the OP (is that for original poster?) said her dog was a Mini Aussie, isn't that a Miniature Australian Shepherd? Because Keechak said "American Shepherd". Don't you mean Mini Aussie? Sorry I'm confused.

Also, I was wondering if a Mini Aussie is the same as an regular sized Aussie?
No, there is no size variety of Australian Shepherds. The MAS (miniature american shepherd), what the OP has, comes from completely different foundation stock. I know it's confusing as there are those breeders that continue to call them Mini aussies even though that is incorrect. The MAS just recently entered AKC (in miscellaneous) as it's own breed. Some were in the Aussie stud book, but were finally booted, I believe last year if I am remembering correctly.

OP: Joey is very cute.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, it's my understanding that the Miniature AMERICAN Shepherd WAS called the Miniature AUSTRALIAN Shepherd but the AKC renamed it when they recognized it as a breed. It's still a Miniature Australian Shepherd in Canada but the breed is not recognized here yet.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Actually, it's my understanding that the Miniature AMERICAN Shepherd WAS called the Miniature AUSTRALIAN Shepherd but the AKC renamed it when they recognized it as a breed. It's still a Miniature Australian Shepherd in Canada but the breed is not recognized here yet.
Yep you are correct, they couldn't get recognition while using a name that was so similar to an already existing breed so the AKC told the Mini club to vote on a new name and Miniature American Shepherd was what the club choose as the name to go forward with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts