Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though I only had my golden pup for only two weeks, she hasn't had a hard time adjusting at all. Me and my girlfriend gives her so much love. The problem is, that I bought a Maltese last night. My golden pup plays rough with him, making the maltese cry. Sometimes when I'm playing with the maltese my golden pup growls at the maltese. Is this jelousy? It seems like it to me. How do I stop it?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I personally don't believe dogs are capable of jealousy, but there are others who disagree with me. The golden probably plays rough because she's never been taught better. Pups tend to teach each other appropriate boundaries in play while they're young. She's probably not deliberately attacking the maltese and trying to hurt her, but I could be mistaken. It's hard to tell without seeing the actual behavior. As for the growling, the dog is resource guarding (you are the resource). You do need to stop this immediately IMO.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The golden might growl because she wants to play, too. Or she could be jealous; I'm convinced that animals do feel jealousy. I know my horse does; every time I walk by or pet a different horse, he glares at me or won't look at me, haha. Just make sure you give them both lots of love and they'll learn to live with each other.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts