Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog was/is having a problem with dog aggression. I don't know if it's to seriously attack or just showing who's boss. After discussing this with a trainer and the daycare owner, I've been taking her to daycare a few times a week for 3-5hrs. The owner says she is delightful and gets along with every shape, size, and breed dog and loves people. She is extremely strong so I wanted to make sure she had a good attitude and wouldn't pull me over. (which happened once. It was more due to my footing than her strength. Terribly embarrassing.) :eek:
Anyway, when she is riding in the car, her hackles rise and she barks like a mad dog....but not at every dog. (When she pulled me down, she had spotted an aust cattle dog(?) and went ballistic.) A dog could be walking leashed or riding in a car.....there's no rhyme or reason to it. When she is leashed, she can be aggravated -or not- when approaching another leashed dog. A dog behind a fence is fine. When we come upon (or I just spot one in the distance) I calmly and quickly turn away and keep walking. (Boy, that's sure inconvenient when you're trying to get somewhere.) ;)
So, I guess my questions are: Is she trying to protect me? Is this a territorial issue? Is there a way to cure this?
It's frustrating because she does so well at daycare.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Barrier frustration is very hard to modify through training. The easiest method for riding in cars is to block their view by either crating them or with window covers.
The arousal with other dogs while walking needs training at a distance....at the very first sign of arousal. There are several things you want to accomplish...what exactly do you want her to do...ignore the other dog and focus on you? Go into a sit? (sitting politely for meeting and greeting...mostly for meeting people but, you can train this for introductions to other dogs). Do you want her to say Hello before you do?...not recommended....you should be saying Hi first....she learns to wait her turn.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts