Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering do small dogs have jealousy problems more than bigger dogs? I live in a complex where people have big to small dogs and when we all talk, I notice that it's more of the smaller dogs having jealousy problems than the bigger dogs.

My dog is no exception. I go to pet any other dog, using the "kiddy/sweet voice" and Luke will do a u-turn towards me. He jumps near me, on me, to get my attention away from the other dog. I ignore Luke saying, "I see you all day." Or just ignore this behavior altogether and continue petting the other dog. But Luke clearly doesn't like it and I know he's jealous.

This afternoon one lady told me her Shih Tzu now pees on her leg claiming her for his own every time she goes to pet another dog. So is it just smaller dogs that have this? Or can bigger dogs have it as bad as smaller dogs?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I'm sure bigger dogs can have it as well ;) Though I haven't experienced extreme cases of jealousy with either of them, big or small. My neighbors' dog, a small podengo mutt, is kinda claim-y. If it were up to her she'd be on your lap all day long. Whenever she feels you're paying more attention to your phone or laptop than to her, she'll try to nudge it away from you or block you from it in some way. Crazy little dog :p Charlie never displayed anything I'd relate to jealousy (do dogs even get jealous at all?) but whenever Mike feels needy he'll come to you and put his head on whatever you're busying yourself with. In my case, mostly my laptop. Which can be annoying. ;)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I think bigger dogs can have some issues with this as well. Abbylynn will throw toys at you or bark in your face ... and I mean up in your face. The other day she wanted Dad to pay attention to her and play some tug. He was doing his paper puzzle lying on the couch. She literally for the first time ever grabbed his suspenders and snapped it back ... took him by surprise ... but got his attention! Lol! :) I was shocked. I did not think she was that smart... if that is what you call it. She hates not being paid attention too. She is jealous of "stuff." :/ :/ She has also flung my hand off of my keyboard when I was on the computer. :/

Leeo used to just show his teeth or have to be right up beside me when I gave too much attention to another person, dog, place, or thing. I couldn't play with the other dogs always ... he would steal the toys I was playing with from the other dogs and run back to me with them. :) He was jealous and always had to be first for everything. :D

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I think it has to do with the type of socialization when the pup as young. I think more large dogs get to play with a greater variety of people and dogs than small puppies do...

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you three. Avie--I believe dogs can have jealous tendencies. I see it in Luke and other dogs a lot. Lol--yeah it must be hard to type when a dog is on your keyboard.

Abbylynn--lol, but ouch for your husband. So I guess bigger dogs can have it too, thanks.

hanksimon--that's not right to not socialize your smaller dog with other dogs just because they're smaller. We were told by the vet that Luke couldn't be around other dogs until he was an appropriate age (sorry I forget how old he had to be) but he had to have all of his shots, then we could start to socialize him. But his breeder did socialize him and so did we. I think it's because I'm the closest to him: I feed him more than my parents, I play with him more than my parents, he likes to go everywhere I go (and I don't mind it), so I think we're very tight. So when another dog comes up it's "What? You traitor! What about me?!"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts