Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work from home so I am always with our 7 mth old border collie american bull dog male nurtured mix breed. We've had him since 3 mths. When my bf gets home, he usually will play for an hr or so with the pup and I will take off for the gym or errands. We take the dog on long walks on the wkends together. Rory loves my bf and listens to him and acts normal except.... In the am. Rory sleeps on the floor or in his opened crate and in the am, my bf gets up an hr early and Rory and I sleep in. My bf goes to hug or kiss me and Rory jumps on the bed and barks. This am he got very snarly and tried to bite my bf. Any telecommuters out there have suggestions of keeping the attachment equal for both dog parents? We will not crate Rory so that is not an option. Rory won't get up and go downstairs with my bf to even go outside or for a treat without me getting up. He is super attached and super protective. I think this is leading this behaviour toward my bf. I am just not sure if anyone might have dealt with this, esp telecommuters or anyone else that is home all day. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Honestly...I would take that to a behaviorist. My dog used to get concerned when my husband and I would play fight, but after a bit he learned that it was all fun and then he would try to join or just jump around and bark. Fearing a bite and that level of possessiveness is probably a different level and needs the attention of a professional. Does he do that all the time, or just in the morning?

In the meantime, manage the situation by:

1. Your BF should not kiss/hug you in the morning in order to avoid the behavior entirely. OR;

2. Don't let the dog sleep in your bedroom and lock him out of it so your BF doesn't have to worry about the dog.

I don't know about Bull dogs, but BCs are very one person dogs and often form an attachment to that one person, so if you're doing most of the feeding/walking/training then you're it. You can have your boyfriend take half your responsibilities with the dog, such as feeding, short training sessions, etc, in order to help build their own bond. Have the dog and you bf do things without you. But being more bonded to you probably isn't the source of his behavior.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
and............ picking at straws... no one could approach me when I was asleep.. my DH would get up in the morning leave me sleeping and the dogs would not go with him to be let outside. .. Once I started to stir even one eye open they were fine... all their lives it never transferred at my DH or my family for any other situation. If you are the main focus of the dogs... it is you that determines the boundaries of your dogs behaviors. I sleep like a rock to anyone calling to me from a distance,, but can I come out in a split second hearing a soft growl "absolutely".. having the opportunity to come too and see the situation saying OK am up,, and they all rush out with DH.. am sure is what set a release for the dogs without me realizing it. .. You have your dogs attention, you have his ear, teach him what his job is..teach him how should he handle this situation.. give him instructions... go lay down and out of your business with your BF... Oh group hug... silly goose... communication isn't always negative it's all that they have doing what they think is right until we teach them other ways... help them to learn how to use it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts