Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During our walk tonight I saw a couple friends as they were coming out of their house. I stopped to talk with them and Colby did her usual, "OH MY GOD, PEOPLE! I LOVE PEOPLE" full body wagging, crying, "PLEASE COME SEE ME" thing that she always does. Ace, on the other hand, barked (as usual) and then started going after Colby. In response, she went back after him kind of like, "Hey! Back off you butt-head." All I had to do was say, "knock it off! sit down" and (eventually) they both relaxed enough to be petted. This is what usually happens when they meet people and I'm trying to work on curbing the behavior, but it's definitely challenging. Luckily our friends are very dog savvy and didn't pet either dog until they were calm and I gave them the "OK" and they weren't phased (probably because I didn't freak out) by the little tiff that went down. Colby relished in the attention (rolling over and nudging for more pets). Ace accepted the attention, but didn't seem to care too much about it once he got it.

When we first got Ace, I always made a point to give Colby attention and have strangers and friends get her attention FIRST so she didn't end up resenting or being jealous of Ace since he was the "new puppy". Up until today, actually, I always thought the issue was that Ace was jealous that Colby was getting attention from the new people (since I always make him sit before getting attention--we're still working on the whole jumping thing), but I'm starting to wonder if it's possible that he's trying to get Colby's attention because he's jealous that she is so happy to see them/giving them attention? Okay, after typing that out even I think it sounds ridiculous, but I can't help but still post it. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
From the way that you described it, it seems like Colby is over the moon about meeting people but Ace doesn't care so much about the people. He gets amped up because Colby gets amped up. I would not call it aggression(based on your description, I have not seen it for myself). One of your previous posts you asked if Ace was fixating on Colby. This situation just seems like an extension of that. Colby is excited so Ace gets excited. Ace doesn't know what to do with his excitement and channels it into pestering Colby.

I see similar behaviors to this in daycare(very common with "siblings") and I handle it with a no reward marker+time out. That tactic will be more difficult for you on leash unless you can have another person helping out. Example: You walk up to greet somebody, Ace starts his nonsense, you give no reward marker, and your friend walks Ace around the opposite side of the house so he can't be part of the fun while Colby gets the greeting she wants.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts