Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm a first time dog owner, and I'm trying to do everything right! I am feeding him Solid Gold, taking him for walks every day, and am trying my best to teach him tricks. The problem is, my boyfriend's brother is moving in with us. He has two dogs of his own, and every time he's here, my dog sits in his lap, and is by his side the whole time! Even when I call him over, he completely ignores me. He even barks at the door when he leaves! I don't know what to do... it seems like they really hit it off. :( How can I make my dog love me more? (seems like a weird question but I had to ask)

·
Registered
325 Posts
My dog is very similar in a way, however he does come when called. But when a "new" person comes into the house he's just beside himself with joy and wants to be all over the new person. Your dog lives with you so that makes you old hat in a sense. I felt the same way when we used to have family visit for a week and he always wanted to spend all his time playing with the "new" people and pretty much forgot about me. After a while they're not so new anymore and he could care less. :p

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am totally the same way with my dog. He's crazy about people he doesn't see as often as he sees me. He sees me every weekday from at least 10:30 - 5:30. We don't do too much, but we still do things like go for walks and play and train on occasion. When other people come around, you'd think he doesn't know I exist! When visitors come, it seems they're more active with him in that time so they like the attention. Once he moves in, he'll probably become old news and you won't feel as bad.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I know how you feel... Donatello doesn't meet new people often, but when they start loving on him, I'm always worried he'll start liking them more. : (

I think HuskyLuv nailed it right on the head... I think dogs get so excited and beside themselves because they're *different*, they smell different, look different, and act different... Once they play'em out for awhile, they realize all us two-leggers are pretty similar.

I'm jealous, too... Can't help it! He's like the love of my life right now. lol! (Oh god, another pathetic remark reminding me I'm 20 and single! Ugh!)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Shame shame, Beethoven! lol! However, even though there isn't romance between Donatello, Gaross, and he and can't fullfill the social needs of a male companion... I'd rather have Donatello the rest of his life than make another feeble attempt at a relationship that might not last...

I'm going to be the Crazy Old Dog Lady! lmao!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Shame shame, Beethoven! lol! However, even though there isn't romance between Donatello, Gaross, and he and can't fullfill the social needs of a male companion... I'd rather have Donatello the rest of his life than make another feeble attempt at a relationship that might not last...

I'm going to be the Crazy Old Dog Lady! lmao!
Okay, okay, maybe that was bad to say haha, but having a dog opens up a whole new world. It's a different experience and a different kind of love that a human companion can't give. Oh well, I guess I've never been much of a people person. xD

·
Registered
750 Posts
My dog is very similar in a way, however he does come when called. But when a "new" person comes into the house he's just beside himself with joy and wants to be all over the new person. Your dog lives with you so that makes you old hat in a sense. I felt the same way when we used to have family visit for a week and he always wanted to spend all his time playing with the "new" people and pretty much forgot about me. After a while they're not so new anymore and he could care less. :p
Then again Dakota is a Husky.... it's their nature to stick like gum to strangers isn't it!?:p

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
sorry, just had to laugh at this a little. I mean, I get it. I understand why you feel jealous but I am so thrilled when my dogs are social with others. It is sort of the opposite perspective. My breed is known for being aloof and not lending itself to indiscriminate friendships. I socialize the heck out of my dogs so they really are friendly to others. In part this questions was asked in another thread. Why do people want affectionate or not affectionate breeds? I think if you want a breed that "loves you the best" you might look at a GSD or something along those lines.
In the meantime with your current dog... maybe make you be the fun person. Training the dog in a happy positive manner usually increases the bond between owner and dog. Keep sessions short and FUN. Your dog will love you the best. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have the opposite problem! I have an Akita/GSD mix.. both Akitas and GSDs are known to be "velcro dogs" with one person in the family being their favorite. Luna picked me from the second we met and I can tell you it's a TON of pressure. Luna cries when I leave, even if someone else is home. It's SO much pressure... I feel guilty doing anything outside the home!!

Be thankful your dog is happy with others!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts