Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My family has been having trouble with my family's 6 month old Dachshund puppy. He gets very jealous when we pet our other dogs; he'll jump on them and try to push them away. Our original idea was to ignore him until he calms down, and then pet him with the other dog to teach him that we can do that, however, he just wont stop. Not only will he not stop, he typically ends up driving the other dog away. One dog gets annoyed and leaves and the other dog has a bad leg and can literally get pushed away - so we started getting afraid that the puppy was learning that he could take over. When he did that, we walked away and ignored him, but nothing changed. So eventually we had to tell him to "go" or "back" to get him away from the other dog while we pet them, but then I feel like he's gonna feel like if we're petting the other dogs, he has to leave.
Things have improved since we first got him, but he is still annoying. Sometimes I can get him to go on the other side of me and can pet both dogs for a few seconds, but then he's back to jumping on the other dog (so I tell him go or back). Do I just keep doing this? Any advice would be great.
He never bites or growls at the other dogs, he's just focused on getting between them and your hand.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
There is a sticky at the top of one of the forum pages that deals with this, I think. The title of the sticky is something about "dogs that push other dogs away to get attention or treats." You might want to check this.

Also, maybe if you make time for each dog separately, then the dachshund wouldn't feel like he always needed to bug you for attention. So, maybe walk them separately, and train them separately. Another good sticky to look at would be "Doggy Zen" or "NILIF", as they both deal with teaching dogs impulse control.
Does you dachshund know any commands? What would happen if you gave your dachshund the "sit" command while you were petting the other dog, so that he had to sit and wait his turn? It would probably take work, but you could do it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I missed that thread.

I actually do walk my dogs separately for the most part - they do all get some practice walking as a group, but they all have very different levels of activity and need, so it's actually easier to walk them separately. I also train the puppy on his own most of the time, and sometimes bring them together - the other two are older, so there isn't much training other than just running through some tricks every now and again.
He is pretty good with sit, but I can't get him to stay sitting when it comes to these types of situations.
I'll check out the other thread, and thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts