Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know what a stink dog poop can be, even in baggies. Throwing them in the garbage makes garbage stink WAY worse. I am looking for a special solution I found in Japan, but can't find in America, and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I live in Japan, and they have a great poop solution there. You get a box of plastic bags, a type available at most stores. Each bag, when unfolded, is a plastic bag with one end open. However, around this bag is a paper sheath, tougher than tissue paper but softer than a paper towel, which is like a bag itself. You wear it like a glove with your hand inside the plastic baggie, with the paper being on the outside. You catch or pick up the poop, then reverse the bags. This results in the poop being inside the paper baggie, which is now inside the plastic baggie. You shake it down so the poop in the paper goes to the bottom of the plastic baggie, and then loosely tie off the end of the plastic baggie. I carry this home in a ziploc, though the smells are protected enough that you could carry it in a cloth bag if you want. The bags are usually scented so the ziploc does not retain a poop smell and can be re-used.

The best part: at home, just open up the plastic baggie and dump the poop in the tissue into the toilet and flush. Tie off the plastic baggie and it retains almost no smell. These can be discarded in normal trash without stink problems. Because the toilet-discarded portion is tissue paper, there are no issues with toilet stoppage.

I am vacationing in America now with my family, and my father is getting a dog, and I want to get him these baggies--but I can't find them on Amazon or easily through any search. Do they not exist here? Because they are brilliant, and should be widely available. If they are, where can I order them from? Anyone know?

If they are not, this could be a great business opportunity for someone....

·
Registered
609 Posts
I've never seen them, but there are other flushable poop bags. They look like plastic, but break down in water. I know that flush puppies is one brand. I don't know if they sell them internationally, though.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
We all know what a stink dog poop can be, even in baggies. Throwing them in the garbage makes garbage stink WAY worse. I am looking for a special solution I found in Japan, but can't find in America, and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I live in Japan, and they have a great poop solution there. You get a box of plastic bags, a type available at most stores. Each bag, when unfolded, is a plastic bag with one end open. However, around this bag is a paper sheath, tougher than tissue paper but softer than a paper towel, which is like a bag itself. You wear it like a glove with your hand inside the plastic baggie, with the paper being on the outside. You catch or pick up the poop, then reverse the bags. This results in the poop being inside the paper baggie, which is now inside the plastic baggie. You shake it down so the poop in the paper goes to the bottom of the plastic baggie, and then loosely tie off the end of the plastic baggie. I carry this home in a ziploc, though the smells are protected enough that you could carry it in a cloth bag if you want. The bags are usually scented so the ziploc does not retain a poop smell and can be re-used.

The best part: at home, just open up the plastic baggie and dump the poop in the tissue into the toilet and flush. Tie off the plastic baggie and it retains almost no smell. These can be discarded in normal trash without stink problems. Because the toilet-discarded portion is tissue paper, there are no issues with toilet stoppage.

I am vacationing in America now with my family, and my father is getting a dog, and I want to get him these baggies--but I can't find them on Amazon or easily through any search. Do they not exist here? Because they are brilliant, and should be widely available. If they are, where can I order them from? Anyone know?

If they are not, this could be a great business opportunity for someone....
Honestly? That sounds overly complicated and like it creates a lot of unnecessary garbage! I just use a normal (biodegradable) bag (I buy them in bulk on Amazon) and throw it in the nearest public trash can. I am not interested in carrying a bag of poop home with me and then removing the poop from the bag to flush. As blenderpie noted, there are actual flushable bags available here if you're into that sort of thing. They dissolve in water.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never seen them, but there are other flushable poop bags. They look like plastic, but break down in water.
Yes, I heard about those and found them. Alas, it looks more complex in that you'd have to make sure there's no air in the bags, and then still worry about clogged toilets. I just don't trust those.

Honestly? That sounds overly complicated and like it creates a lot of unnecessary garbage! I just use a normal (biodegradable) bag (I buy them in bulk on Amazon) and throw it in the nearest public trash can. I am not interested in carrying a bag of poop home with me and then removing the poop from the bag to flush.
Actually, it's very simple. Get out a bag, put your hand in, get the poop, then with the other hand, take hold of an edge of the baggie around your write, pull out, and presto. Make a loose knot of the end of the baggie. Very simple. And the paper/poor connection is really convenient and worry-free.

As for trash cans, I had forgotten about that. In Japan, public trash cans simply do not exist. Convenience stores have trash cans, but are meant for customers and it would be really rude to drop dog poop in them. So in Japan, there are no alternatives--you just have to carry it back home.

The problem is also that my father will likely take the dog out back or around the neighborhood, very often in places where there are no trash cans, even in the U.S. So the tissue versions would really by far better, at least in most situations.

·
Banned
1,767 Posts
I've used something similar from a park dispenser so they do exist here. I remember it cause it was weird and kind of a hassle to use. Personally I still just prefer a simple plastic bag.

All parks around here have trash cans and bag dispensers. Most suburban walking paths I've been on do as well but it may be neighborhood dependent.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Yes, I heard about those and found them. Alas, it looks more complex in that you'd have to make sure there's no air in the bags, and then still worry about clogged toilets. I just don't trust those.

Actually, it's very simple. Get out a bag, put your hand in, get the poop, then with the other hand, take hold of an edge of the baggie around your write, pull out, and presto. Make a loose knot of the end of the baggie. Very simple. And the paper/poor connection is really convenient and worry-free.

As for trash cans, I had forgotten about that. In Japan, public trash cans simply do not exist. Convenience stores have trash cans, but are meant for customers and it would be really rude to drop dog poop in them. So in Japan, there are no alternatives--you just have to carry it back home.

The problem is also that my father will likely take the dog out back or around the neighborhood, very often in places where there are no trash cans, even in the U.S. So the tissue versions would really by far better, at least in most situations.
Couldnt he just carry the poop home and put it in his trash? since he'd be carrying it home anyway, and then he can just trash it and not worry about it? The whole paper inside plastic flushing then throwing the bag away seems overly complicated, but maybe its a cultural thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Couldnt he just carry the poop home and put it in his trash? since he'd be carrying it home anyway, and then he can just trash it and not worry about it? The whole paper inside plastic flushing then throwing the bag away seems overly complicated, but maybe its a cultural thing.
In my experience, that stinks up the trash something unholy. Are there bags which do not do this? Back in Japan, my wife and I tried this, but even with the bags securely closed/knotted, the garbage would stink horribly. Also, once again, the tissue-toilet poop bags are not complicated. I may have made it sound that way because of the detailed explanation, but was just trying to be specific enough to elicit a definitive answer by someone who recognizes the product. Really, honestly, these things are simple to use and we have found them to be a wonderful alternative.

And in the end, all I want to know is, where can I find them here?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts