Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much and how bad is their shedding? I have significant allergies and am not sure how I'd feel about tons of fur being everywhere just from a cleanliness standpoint anyway. That said, I have a Cavalier mix who sheds seasonally. Even when she was shedding substantially for a few weeks, my allergies were fine and I wasn't at all bothered by her shedding. I just brushed her more and vacuumed more. It was worth it because I love her. If I'm not allergic to Cavalier fur shedding, would I also not be allergic to Japanese Chin shedding? Also, just exactly HOW much do they shed? I don't mind if there's a decent, visible amount of fur on my clothes, carpet, etc. However, I've seen some dogs (other breeds) where you hold them for 5 min and practically can no longer even see your shirt. I think that would be too much for me. I have given some thought to just getting another Cavalier instead of a J Chin but I wanted a little variety. Cavaliers are also hard to find on Petfinder but there are a few Chins. Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Of the Chins I've met they shed considerably less than a Cavalier. Keep in mind they've all been show dogs, so they're fully groomed on a regular basis. The best way to make sure they won't affect your allergies is to spend time with breeders dogs or the rescue dog in articular and see if you react to them. You may also want to consider expanding your search beyond petfinder. Both Cavaliers and Chins have national and local breed rescues that don't advertise on petfinder. And breeders will sometimes have older dogs needing placement that are only found thru word of mouth. The best way to contact breeders and potential pets would be to go to a few shows and join some breed specific forums or yahoo groups, facebook is becoming more popular for breed groups as well.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Usually I see Cavaliers described as "moderate" and Chins as "heavy" shedders.My guess is it varies among dogs within each breed. Yeah, there are not many Cavaliers or Chins on petfinder, which makes it harder to find a way to interact with them and see how my allergies do. I'll keep trying petfinder and I'll definitely do all the other recommendations you have. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts