Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's gonna be a lot!! I had to narrow it down from over 200 haha. So it may take me a while to post them all.

We went to Virginia to check out this AMAZING dog park (IMO) - Shirlington Dog Park. It was awesome. Totally Jackson's Heaven. I went with two of my friends and their dogs (Toby, Duncan and Otto) and we had all 4 dogs in the car, it was an adventure for sure. Then we met up with a friend from another forum I am on and her adorable dog Cricket.

It was worth the 50 minute drive... We'll be trying to go once a month hopefully!

So here we go.

When we first got there... he was in the water before I could even get down the rocks!

Otto!

Jackson, Toby and Cricket

Cricket.

Rock climbing.

-more-

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I still haven't gotten myself out there, only about 20 minutes from me. I've heard it's crazy busy there on weekends (when it'd be easiest for me to get out there) and the creek part isn't fully fenced in... Afraid Jubel would scale the dirt wall and get out.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Hey, I know that park! I agree it is very nice. I took Biscuit there once last summer - it's one of the only nearby dog swimming options for us. She became a complete mudball! But it was fun. It was a weekend, a hot day, and there were a TON of dogs, but it's pretty well designed IMHO - it's like a very very long, thin park, then the water part is separate. I don't recall the creek not being fully fenced though - and I think I would have noticed. The water is pretty dirty, though. Biscuit definitely peed in it (sorry) and she was not the only one.

I would imagine we'll be back there sometime soon, though!

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Yeah I'm just going by what others have told me, haven't been myself. Was warned it wasn't fully fenced at the creek.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Love all the pics! :)

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not fully fenced, but honestly a dog would have to be pretty totally and completely unwilling to listen to get out. They'd have to swim across to the other side and then climb up the steep rock wall, which I know a lot of dogs COULD do, but I was nervous hearing about it too knowing Jackson's tendency to explore and wander, and it was fine. I feel like a dog would have to be REALLY determined to want to get away from you and all the fun lol. I loved the park because it wasn't your typical walk in and there's a big fenced square full of dogs running around - it was long and more like trails, etc. If anyone ever wants to meet up let me know!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This kind of gives you the scale of how big it is, and it's probably not even half of it.

But I wish I had a pic of the other side. Basically to GET to the creek, you open the gate and leave the "fenced in area" so one side has a fence and the other side of the creek is just a gigantic rock wall as a "blockade". It's down in a gulley.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I guess I need to get directions to there again and check it out myself. All I remember is it's near four mile run and then gets complicated haha. But after taking a few classes in that general area I'm more familiar with it than when someone first tried to tell me how to get there.

Though the new foster I'll be bringing home soon will not be a dog park dog so not sure when I'll have the chance to get Jubel out there anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
It's right by Shirlington. Very close to where the Woofs agility class is. You would never know it's there - it's set behind a bunch of offices and garages and such.

I think I didn't notice that the other side wasn't fenced because it's in a gully. The other side is quite steep. Actually, the side you enter the creek from is pretty steep too.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
hmm... is it behind the park next to Woofs or down the road some? I certainly never saw anything from four mile run rd and I've driven coming from columbia pike and coming from 395. My understanding is that you pretty much have to know where you are going to find it and it isn't distinctive from the road at all.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
It's right off Four Mile Run Rd. but you definitely can't see it from the road. It's on a dead-end side street, I believe. It's in between Woofs and 395/Shirlington proper, but closer to Shirlington - not behind that park next to Woofs.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Wish I had an awesome dog park like that to go to. Looks like they all had a lot of fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts