Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello first time posting. Thanks for having me.

I am looking for feedback about bringing a new puppy into our home. We have two Jack Russell females (sisters) 8 years old. No children in the home; large backyard for play and exercise; big house. These two doggies don't socialize well with other dogs for the most part - when the two are together they tend to pack and become aggressive toward other dogs - but sometimes there is no problem at all.

We are limited as to what breed to bring home due to allergies. I'm thinking about a (1) basenji, (2) standard poodle, (3) bedlington terrier, (4) westhighland terrier

Does anyone have experience introducing a new dog into a home with Jack Russells? Does anyone have feedback or advice about particular breeds getting along with each other? Our doggies are very sweet and affectionate and I have this "fantasy" that they will love a new puppy but -- I am not a dog so what do i know ;)

Thanks for your thoughts - Heather

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I am looking for feedback about bringing a new puppy into our home. We have two Jack Russell females (sisters) 8 years old. No children in the home; large backyard for play and exercise; big house. These two doggies don't socialize well with other dogs for the most part - when the two are together they tend to pack and become aggressive toward other dogs - but sometimes there is no problem at all.
This is a sign of potential trouble. JRTs are not known for being tolerant of new dogs being introduced. Obviously some are fine with it.

To increase chances of success, I would try them with a male puppy, on neutral territory, and after the 2 terrors have had some exhausting exercise. I would only introduce them to a prospective pack mate individually. I would also make sure the current dogs are crate trained (or re-crate trained), and not let the dogs interact for a good long while--and then only individually--without direct supervision.

All that may seem like an excess of caution, but I operate on the assumption that disaster is always imminent. As such, I can usually mitigate against it, if not avoid it altogether.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts