Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a wonderful 8yr old Jack Russell. She has some occasional phantom pregnancy issues, but other than that is usually very active and healthy. She loves to run aorund, play ball, chase cats, bite me up, and sleep on the bed.

All was fine up until last night. She likes to get under covers, and had been asleep under the covers on the armchair for a couple of hours after we'd been playing ball and squeaker for a bit. She came out, and was hunched on her back, moving slowly and looking very unconfrtable, with her ears down and tail between her legs.
She had trouble moving all last night. When i tried to pick her up she yelped a lot, as if something was really hurting her.
All night she kept coming to me 'for help', clambering up the bed, likcing me, looking at me in a way that she wanted to do something. I was kept up most the night, and when I did wake up this morning, found her in the bed with me. She's never done that beofre.

I took her to the vet this morning, and she did seem a bit better along the way, she went for her usual walk ahppily enough, and also did a bit of running on the way. She also went to the toilet without any problems, so it wasn't a bad constipation, which I thought it might have been at first.
The vet gave her an examination, prodding her abdommen, along her spine, taking her temperature etc, and she generally seemed quite well. the vet suggested that is could be some kind of muscle sprain or stretch. Which seemed plausable.

But when we got home she came to be picked up (she loves to be picked up and cuddled) and when i picked her up she yelped horribly. A real severe pain, with a high pitch earsplitting yelp. My dog's quite tough, and it's not like her to do this, she's often bashing herself up running around in the garden. There was also at a pint a noise outside which made her wake up with a jump, at which point she yelped exactly the same.
After the way she has behaved today, I think the problem is somewhere inside her ribcage area.

I'm worried to death about her, and she's clearly in a lot of pain and discomfort.
Has anybodye xperienced anythign like this before, and maybe have any ideas about what it is, and what I could maybe do help her?
There's nobody else here, and I hate having to leave her like this while I'm at work.

Thanks very much for any and all help you may have

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
None of us can offer you any medical advice. The best I can tell you is that if you are not happy with what your vet told you, get another opinion.

Did the vet do x-rays? Give you any medication? Bloodwork?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
If it were me I would immediately take her back to the vet and ask for an x-ray of her spine.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Try to keep her from being so active and get a second opinion from a different vet. It may be that she needs to be on restricted activity instead of being allowed to run freely, Keep her on a leash when outside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts