Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We feed our dogs once a day. Our Jack Russel mix (about a year old), has recently started vomiting her lunch about 3-5 times a week. It happens usually about 10-30 mins after she eats, and let me just say its clear that the food hadn't really been digested.

other than this, there are no other symptoms of a problem. She is frisky, happy, energetic. I called the local vet's office and they said just see if it gets any better, and it not, bring her in.

Anything I can try?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Split her feeding up, pre-soak the food and keep her quiet after eating for a bit to let the food settle. Take her temp before feeding and after she vomits to have on record if the vet asks. What are you feeding and how much?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We feed her Authority, Petsmart's house brand (I looked at the ingredients, there was a lot of animal product in it). 2 cups a day.

Yeah I was thinking of splitting the meals.... its just that she eats at teh same time as our St. Bernard (sometimes they share meals, quite voluntarily/peacefully), but I'll try to feed her twice a day, with watered kibbles.

·
Registered
416 Posts
how big of a dog is she? two cups a day is a ton of food for a Jack sized dog, so she might just be over eating and having trouble from that. Take a look at this link and see what your kcal/cup is and if you are over feeding. If you are not over feeding look to going to a denser food so you can feed less of it.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feeding-tips/dog-food-calculator/

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to that calculator, I should be feeding her 140 grams/day; I've been feeding her 200. OK I'll cut back by 1/3, and split it up in two servings (if she'll eat twice a day).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fed her today w/ the 140-gram size, mixed it with a fair amount of water, and she still threw up.

I'm really not sure that twice-a-day feedings are going to work. I know she's seen food in her bowl in the morning, and she's ignored it, waiting for me to give her a normal lunch before chowing down.

Is there a food that is incredibly high calorie/nutrients, that I can just give her a little of (making it less likely she'll throw up)?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to Petsmart and didn't really see anything that had more calories per kg than the stuff I'm already given her, so simply giving her high-calorie/nutrition food isn't an option.

Another solution that I came across was to put some stones in the food bowl that are too large to be eaten. This would force the dog to eat more slowly. For two days now, our dog has had to eat her way around these, and I haven't seen any throwup. I think its definitely working. She can't just hover over the bowl and scarf down food (it was unchewed in the vomit); she takes a few kibbles, adn then pulls back away from the bowl, and chews the kibbles (I hear her crunching them).

I'll post back if this doesn't work, but it looks good so far.

Selah, thanks for replying.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I am glad to hear that you have found something the help her out, I never thought about eating to fast, but most dogs don't really chew their kibble and if a pup vomits it is usually unchewed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more thing that MIGHT have contributed (as we have not had this problem until recently). The foodmaker in their infinite wisdom decided to make the same type of food in two different-sized kibbles, and I have always bought the large kibbles for our JR, but I see that this bag is teh smaller kibbles, that I bought inadvertently. I think that the small size might have made it easier for her to simply swallow them.

·
Registered
878 Posts
First thought was that she was eating too quickly - Hamish inhales his food so we put 2 plastic cups into the food bowl which did slow him down somewhat but were usually evicted at some point whilst he was eating. Recently we got him a bowl that has bumps in and that seems to be working, although he is speeding up now that he understands the design!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts