Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahhh where to start. I've lost my two best friends last month due to illness. Don't even know where to begin but I had taken Roush out to an event one weekend out in the Texas hill country with a group of Lacy owners and he was perfectly normal. No problems what so ever at all!! He ran the cattle demonstrations, tree racoons, baying hogs in the pen & even blood tracked a few mock trails around 400 yards.... Did amazing at that and off lead even. He was only a year old and the best dog I've ever been around hands down very mature and so much potential and very versatile in his jobs. We had some very high hopes for Roush..... I can't speak highly enough about him. He was well traveled though for sure and had been to about 8 different states with me within the time we spent together. :( That was my riding buddy.

So we get back home to Dallas around 2am on Sunday and everything was fine and he was acting completely normal. We spent the entire day together just relaxing at the house and then when it came time to go to bed he laid on the pillow next to mine like a person, lol as usual just by my side where he loved to be. Well that morning I got up fed the dogs, went to work and when I got home I walked into the yard and there lay Roush dead laying in his own bloody waste stiff. Shelby laying next to him as they were siblings. It hit me pretty hard I spent an enormous amount of time with these dogs and it was worth every bit of it. I picked Roush up and buried him in a field under a tree he loved to enjoy his shade in the most :(

Later that week I get home from work on Wednesday and Shelby will NOT eat her food.... She has never turned down a meal the entire time I've had a hold of her. I knew something was wrong so I rushed her into the vet as soon as possible. They diagnosed her with Parvo and told me she had a 20% survival rate. She would have been two years old in a couple of months. They kept her overnight for about a week and she made strides and eventually made a full recovery a week later and was able to return home the following Thursday. I spent every moment I could with her just being there next to her kennel on the floor as they have her isolated for a week and hooked up to IVs. She made a recovery from the Parvo but in return I ultimately made the decision to have her put down due to her epilepsy worsening after her Parvo incident. She had neurological damage and it was causing her to have these attacks where she would just lash out for a good few minutes at random and bite at the air. It got pretty disturbing and aggressive :( It was no where near that severe prior to the Parvo. I was afraid that one day she would bite somebody or take a childs hand off on accident.

It's been a rough past month or so that is for sure..... I lost my two best friends literally. They were half brother and sister and nearly inseparable. They'll never be forgotten. The time we spent together was worth every single moment. From running around on the farm just exploring to going out of state into the mountains, to hunting to fishing you name they had a pretty good life for some youngins just wish it could have lasted longer. Don't take your dogs for granted, you never do know when they might be gone. :/ What I hate most about this entire situation is that Roush never showed me any signs of being hurt or being in trouble he just acted like everything was going to be okay even up to the morning I left him for work, I'll never forget them faces. He never had an ounce of quit in him.....

My pride..... Jack Roush RIP April 24, 2011 - April 30th, 2012

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Awwwe .... I am so sorry .... They were beautiful.

Run free little ones .........

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Few more of Roush.... The last photos I have of my boy. Photos taken during the event we attended the weekend prior to his death. To think that these photos were taken just a day before his death :( Breaks my heart. He was so young.... Never had an ounce of quit inside him. He was at this event working cattle, treeing racoons, blood tracking and even did the hog bay. You would have never of known he was hurtin.

Always focused on me....

Getting pups fired up over treeing game.. Huck & Roush

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about this. They were beautiful dogs and obviously well-loved. RIP, buds.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss. I remember some of your other threads and always thought your dogs were fantastic. I really wish you and your family the best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts