Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally give my dogs Tri-Heart Plus monthly for heart-worm preventative. I came across an article of using Ivermectin/Ivomec as an alternative. After some further reading it seems like there are a lot of people who have been using this for years with the same results. Before making the switch I thought I would post to get some feedback.

From what I've researched I've found 3 variations of what people use: Ivermectin 1% Solution, Ivomec 1% and Ivermectin Paste 1.87% so not sure which one is best?

I have also read that Ivermectin in high doses can be dangerous, even fatal, to dogs, especially to those with the MDR1 mutation. One of my dogs I believe it to to have some Aussie mixed in. Is it necessary to get him tested for the MDR1?

Also I've read some use it as both a heart-worm AND tick preventative. I currently use Simparica in conjunction with Tri-Heart (I use both year round as recommended by my vet - both my dogs were tested Lyme positive and even though we are entering the winter months it was still suggested to use it year round).

Obviously if I substituted Ivermectin for both tick/heartworm meds they are are now it saves me a ton of money...BUT I won't switch unless it's just as effective.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Tri-Heart Plus is ivermectin (heartworm medication), along with Pyrantal Pamoate (intestinal worm medication).

Ivomec is a brand of ivermectin (like Advil is a brand of ibuprofen).

If you suspect a herding/collie breed in your dog's mix, then testing for the MDR-1 defect is a good idea, regardless. (That said, my GSD hasn't been tested, and I've given her Tr-Heart Plus for years with no problem).

The paste is generally used for horses, and is usually flavored. Depending on the size of your dogs, it's probably too hard to portion out paste in a small enough dose, since I think they are typically dispensed in 100 pound increments.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
It's also worth noting that if your dog contracts heartworm when you've been using a product licensed for heartworm in dogs, as directed - which is really rare but does happen - the medication company will typically pay for your dog's treatment. You don't have that protection with a product not licensed for dogs, as far as I know. Not saying don't do it, but it's a consideration to keep in mind.

And yes, because the commercial ivermectin is usually made for livestock, you want to be really, really sure you know how to measure it out for a dog. Haven't done it myself, so I'm not sure the process.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback! These are the ones I found. The paste is very inexpensive but I've read a lot of people using the last one.

Solution: https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=3d70c03d-e24f-4641-8145-5f0a3748c827&itemguid=7e4966c1-f020-471d-a808-897cafc7621f

Paste: https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=4d9a49d8-394f-46b3-883c-733d88c2c257&itemguid=24a72f9a-b3f8-46d6-ba69-cbf33e76cd4e

Ivomec: https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07552-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5&itemguid=3269e3b8-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

Also after finding out that Simparica was on the list of the being one of the products that can case nerve reactions. I'm trying to find an alternative tick treatment as well. Any suggestions? We have tons where I live so can't be without a tick preventative...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The Seresto collar is supposed to be very effective against ticks. There is also a collar called Preventic that is supposed to be effective against them. Some of the topicals are also supposed to be effective against ticks.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I just switched to 1% Ivomec solution and I have a Seresto Collar on two dogs and use either K9 Advantix or Vectra 3D on the other dog. Currently I have a very active tick population and as of last test, neither the 8 year old dog OR the 18 month old dog have a positive (or any symptoms of) tick born illness.

·
Registered
222 Posts
We dont really use flea or tick meds but we've been using Ivomec for heartworm for years. So far we've used it for I think 6 dogs with no heartworms and no adverse effects. Also know several farmers and a couple of dog breeders who have been using ivomec for many many years. We currently get the liquid form at a big box store. Yeah overdose is dangerous......luckily the vet we use was reasonable enough to help us figure the dosage for our dogs. My wife knows the exact numbers, but if memory serves, the dosage to prevent heartworm is like 1/3 of what the dosage is to treat an infestation of other parasites. So theres a tiny bit of wiggle room there.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions/feedback. I've been doing a little more research on some more cost effective alternatives without compromising it's effectiveness.

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with Petshed or pets-megastore.com.au?

I've found this from Petshed which is a generic of heartguard http://www.petshed.com/item/generic-heartgard-plus-for-dogs and had very good reviews

And for tick prevention I found the same product I use now Simparica but on https://www.pets-megastore.com.au/simparica-green-large?search=simparica it's practically half the price and you get 2 free chews, although the packaging looks different I've read a lot of good feedback from people purchasing from their site.

Both you don't need scripts since not in US.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Are you in the US or Australia? Both of those look like they are manufactured and labeled for the Australian market.

I pay just a bit more than that for the Tri-Heart here in southeastern Texas. If I take in a catalog or online store print-out, my vet will price match.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im in the US, the cheapest I've found the Tri-Heart Plus is from Allivet for 57.98 for my large dog. At Petshed it's 37.95 - both a 12 month supply

The Simparica at the Australia store is significantly less at $43 for a 8 pack (you get 2 free). Shipping was only a few dollars too or free I believe if you order over a certain amount.

I just don't know about ordering out of the US and without script but the more I read I found out many people do with no issue. So if it saves me money and is essentially the same product I figure it's worth it?

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Tri heart is ivermectin. If you suspect herding or other breed commonly having MDR1 it would be good to test for that it's relatively cheap test, but if you've already been using Ivermectin product your dog should be fine.

It would have to be a very high dose to cause harm, but also measure the dosage.

I've used both Ivomec and Noromectin brands.

It does nothing against ticks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts