Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

I've lost my mind (multiple puppies)

2K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  Locke 
#1 ·
So many moons ago I started searching for a puppy to add to our family. I really wanted to take my time and find the perfect breed. I originally had it narrowed down to two breeds, the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog and the Leonberger.

We finally decided on a Swissy (hubby liked them a bit better, I was more partial to a Leo) and went about meeting a lot of breeders and a lot of swissys and felt pretty confident in our choice. Unfortunately I didn't realize how hard it would be to get a swissy because apparently they don't get pregnant easily. Of the breeders we were working with all but one had the female come up not pregnant after mating. While I was willing to wait it got to the point of ridiculous. I was on one waiting list of an actually pregnant female but was toward the bottom of 20 people for one litter. I figured there was no way I was seeing a swissy in the near future. I'm dogless right now so decided I'd look at Leonbergers to hopefully get a pup this summer and then in a year or two start looking for a swissy again even if it meant a long wait.

So I started to call Leo breeders, who were all incredibly nice by the way, and looking for a puppy. I really clicked with one breeder and really liked her dogs (spent an hour and a half on the phone the first time we talked) and she has a litter due April 8th. She liked me as well and said provided all goes well I'll definitely get a puppy.

I was very excited!

Then I got an email from the waiting list I was on that the swissy bitch didn't wake up from her c-section and they weren't sure the pups were even going to make it :(. I sent condolences and figured that it worked out for the best to go for a Leo, it just wasn't meant to be a swissy.

Except a week later (2 days ago) I got a voicemail that the pups are doing great! There was a chocolate lab at a shelter that only had one puppy right around the same time and they got her to adopt the swissy litter as well. The lab now has a home and the swissy pups are thriving with their adopted mom and brother. She also said that there are 4 available females and was I interested!?!

I got home and had a looooong talk with the hubby and we've decided to go for both pups! I am so incredibly excited and at the same time convinced that I've lost my mind. I've raised puppies together before and it worked well so I know I can do it, but I also know just how much work I've gotten myself into.

So now our Swissy girl comes home memorial day weekend and the Leo pup will come home early June!!

I'll be getting the pink or purple girl. They both have to much white to show and might have a blue eye which is an automatic disqualification, so it's a companion home for them. I can't get the purple girl's pics to work but here are two of the pink girl.

See less See more
#2 ·
That's great news, congratulations...... Our 2 little Poodles mixes are brother and sister and came to us at 8 weeks, so we lost our minds too at that time. But a year and half later, we could not do without either one.

#10 ·
Aw, that is so sad about the Swiss pups' mama. :( How wonderful that the shelter lab is being mama to them though!

As for getting two... it's PURE BLISS!!!!!!!!! (well, with maybe a few "what the heck was I thinking" moments thrown in on occasion for good measure! ;))

We set out to bring a puppy into our home in January. We knew we were getting a male Standard Poodle, a white one, since our older girl is black. Problem is, we fell in love with two from the litter and knew we couldn't leave without both of them.

I thought I was in for double the insanity and figured I'd be pulling my hair out (my husband ominously asked me as we were making the decision, "Do you really think you can handle two?")... but honestly, it has been amazingly wonderful. They keep each other happy and busy when I'm not able to give them my full attention... they learn from each other so it helps with training time... it's SO sweet and heart-warming to see them playing and romping together... and they are double the cuddles and kisses! My hubby and I are so thankful every day that we brought both of them home.

#12 ·
Oh wow! so did the breeder adopt the shelter lab, too??? If so, they're cool people!!

I really, really like the Berner Breed club. Did you check out the Berner-gard part of the breed club website? I was told that if the breeder isn't on the Berner-gard list, to not get from them. I'm sure you did. You seem ultra responsible.

Oh, and no, you're not insane for getting two. You're very, very lucky and I'm very, very jealous!!!! I cannot wait for more puppy pics and I am excited to see them grow up. :):)

I have another question for you (sorry!!!) If the eye is blue on that side, will the ear on the corresponding side also be deaf? Or, maybe it doesn't work that way with Berners.

#13 ·
I got my shelties as pups at the same time, well, about a month apart, but they're only two weeks apart in age, and it's been wonderful for us too. There are times when you'll feel insane, but watching them play is the best entertainment ever. Congrats on your two!

#15 · (Edited)
Thank you all so much for the encouragement! I promise, you'll be seeing a lot of questions around here in about 8 weeks or so. I've raised a lot of puppies but these are going to be my first giant breed dogs.

Sammgirl - These are Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs, the Bernese Mountain Dogs shorter haired and slightly bigger cousin :). This is their breed club's website. The puppy should hear fine even if the eye is blue as long as the ear isn't white. If the white extends around the ear as well that is when they can be deaf.

I should say that the Swissy people are very nice, but JohnnyBlaze is right it was major interviews with each breeder I talked to. A lot of driving as well, including down to Washington, D.C. from North NJ to meet a breeder and her dogs. Never mind the driving in the more immediate area to meet breeders at dog shows. The interviews for Leo's were nothing compared to that, though still pretty intensive. I was more than happy to do it though knowing that all that work meant I would get a pup from a reputable breeder.

Leroy&Lucy'sMom - LOL, I actually started buying some stuff today when I was out picking up cat food. I found adjustable food stands that should work now through adulthood and of course some kongs and toys :). All I really need now ahead of time are crates and then food right before they come home.

Speaking of cats, anyone have any tips for what you do with cat's who are used to free feeding when you have puppies in the house? Can you successfully teach a pup that cat food is off-limits? My cat's eat Innova Evo which has a very high protein content and is a super no-no for puppies. I foresee some very angry kitties having to eat only twice a day :)

Thanks again for the encouragement. I promise you will all be overloaded with pics! The breeder will be sending Swissy picks weekly and once the Leo is born (9 days and counting) there will be many pics of them as well.

#17 ·
your feeding the cat problem .... I have the laundry room blocked off with a gate .... the cats clear it just fine to get to their 'lunch' and 'potty' .... except my older cat (rescue cat) will not eat with the others and, i know to some this may sound ICKY ... but I have to feed her food (i her dishes) on the kitchen counter .... thankfully it is part of the counter i do not cook on!!! LOL

#19 ·
Rosborn - LOL, we actually were debating the kitchen counter, so don't worry about any judging from me. I *think*, after talking with hubby, that we are going to move the food up to our room. With the pups being giant breeds we don't want them going up and down the stairs anyway. Plus, anytime we have had a dog visit our one cat has declared upstairs off limits and made sure that all dogs stayed downstairs, heh.

Locke - No joke, it's taken me about a year so far and I'm considering myself lucky. I'd say if you want one start looking, talking with breeders, and getting on lists about two years before you want the pup. The swissy breeders in particular are VERY intensive about interviewing families and it can take a bit. They are really nice people but don't want the breed to end up in shelters or puppy mills.

#20 ·
Congratulations! I think having two puppies will be intense, but you sound like you can handle it. Those are two big beautiful breeds though. I hope you'll be posting millions of pictures because I'd love to live vicariously through you since I don't know if I'll ever raise a puppy myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.