Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive just had my best friend Max a 12 year old German Shepard put down.
Monday I live with my parents as I've just finished Uni, max has been my best friend since I was 9 years old. My dad bought him for me as my first pet for my birthday and he's been my shadow ever since. He waits at the door for me when I'm out and we've just always had that special bond.
He's always been a sensitive yet proud dog, he's always shared emotions through rough times by placing his head in my lap and looking at me with his big brown eyes. He was such a beautiful creature. I was so proud of him.
I came home from work Monday to find that he had become increasingly more unwell. We have been trying to help him since October 2011 with various different treatments for his spine. He was finding it difficult to walk and would sometimes fall down when playing but since that its been a slippery slope, throughout treatment he showed no signs of getting better and instead continued to get worse.
It's been about 3 months that he's had chronic diarrhoea and it had reached the point when we couldn't even get up to go outside, and when he did he would fall down sometimes into his mess. Meaning we were constantly cleaning the floors and him.
When I came home from work that evening he couldn't even stand up to wag his tail. I felt suck because I knew...

We made the decision that Tuesday we would take him to the vet to see what he thought. But we knew. I cried all Of Monday night and was sent home Tuesday as I wasn't coherent.
I just came in and sat with him, I held him, I cried and I told him how much I lived him. He put his head on my lap and looked into my eyes, they weren't shiny anymore but sad and pained. He was a proud dog.

At 1:45 in the afternoon we took him, we were the last to be seen.
In the waiting room it seemed like hours and I could take my eyes off of him.

We went into the room and I had no idea what would happen as he was my first pet.
The vet told is what we knew.
Te vet and my dad helped eachother put max up onto the table where he had his 2 injections waiting for him.
We all held him, I held his face in my hands. He starred back at me, he looked afraid.
His eyes began to drift and he fell into a deep sleep. The vet then prepared to administer the 'over dose'
I held him so tight and told him I'd never forget. I felt him take one final sight and his heart stopped.
I just held on, I couldn't let him go.
I will never forget, but now I'm so devastated I can't see past the hour. I feel like my whole world has fallen apart and a great chunk of me is gone.
I can't see how I will ever get over the loss of my best friend.
Please help. I just can't see solace.
Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's always hard when we lose a member of the family, isn't it? Your dog was obviously well loved, and you proved it by letting him go when he was in so much pain. Hopefully in time, you'll remember the good times, and the painful part will fade. Picture him romping and playing pain free at the Rainbow Bridge. You'll see each other again one day.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I am so so very sorry for your loss.

This just breaks my heart ...

I also just had to make that decision but only a couple months ago. I know there is nothing I can say to make the pain go away. Time will eventually be your friend. Good memories will bring a smile instead of the tears. I too am still crushed ... as my dog was my heart dog also.

Just try to take comfort in the fact that you gave him a good life and he knew he was loved. He is no longer in pain ... but whole once again. He will be waiting at The Rainbow Bridge for you ... as all our dearly loved pets will be when it is our turn to leave this world.

Run free Max! ... You are dearly loved and will be missed by all those whose lives you touched. RIP

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
Sorry for your loss... It'll be bad for a couple of weeks, but it'll slowly get better... Try not suffer in silence, if you have friends/family that are sympathetic.

I'll let you in on a secret... Your father is probably suffering also, but he has to suffer in silence ... for the loss of the dog... for the loss of a gift ... for the pain that his gift has brought.... and for the pain that his little, baby girl is still in (his baby girl that is still 9 yo to him). Go tell him how you feel, and go tell him that you're sorry that he feels bad, too.

Then, in about two weeks, while the pain is still there, but when the edge is no longer as sharp, the two of you might go looking at puppies. It may seem too soon. You don't have to buy one, just go look. Puppies, especially sweet puppy smells, seem to cure all kinds of wounds.

So bring some money, too :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Know that you did the right thing !! My heart goes out to you I have been in your shoes and I know how hard it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's always hard when we lose a member of the family, isn't it? Your dog was obviously well loved, and you proved it by letting him go when he was in so much pain. Hopefully in time, you'll remember the good times, and the painful part will fade. Picture him romping and playing pain free at the Rainbow Bridge. You'll see each other again one day.
Thank you for your very kind message. He was like a little brother. He always watched over me. I hope that in time wounds will heal and I won't be such a mess thinking about how truly special he is. I can't wait to see him waiting with bated breathe at the rainbow bridge. I miss him so much. X

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must be honest I cried reading your reply.
It pains me knowing that others are experiencing this heart wrenching feeling that I am.
I know that max and lily pie will be waiting,
Thank you again so much.
Your message has really touched me and my family
X

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for your loss... It'll be bad for a couple of weeks, but it'll slowly get better... Try not suffer in silence, if you have friends/family that are sympathetic.

I'll let you in on a secret... Your father is probably suffering also, but he has to suffer in silence ... for the loss of the dog... for the loss of a gift ... for the pain that his gift has brought.... and for the pain that his little, baby girl is still in (his baby girl that is still 9 yo to him). Go tell him how you feel, and go tell him that you're sorry that he feels bad, too.

Then, in about two weeks, while the pain is still there, but when the edge is no longer as sharp, the two of you might go looking at puppies. It may seem too soon. You don't have to buy one, just go look. Puppies, especially sweet puppy smells, seem to cure all kinds of wounds.

So bring some money, too :)
Thank you for your lovely message. I spoke with my dad like you advised about how he feels and he agrees completely.
He said he just wanted max to bring me joy and instead the loss has bought me heart ache.
I've explained to him that he has bought me 12 years of joy and his memory will bring me many years more.
I know I'm hurt now but judging by all the wonderful messages from the people on here I will move through and not cry at every single thing relating to him.
Thank you so much for you advise, it has bought me and my family closer.
Especially me and my dad over the loss of our best friend X

·
Registered
591 Posts
Thank you for your lovely message. I spoke with my dad like you advised about how he feels and he agrees completely.
He said he just wanted max to bring me joy and instead the loss has bought me heart ache.
I've explained to him that he has bought me 12 years of joy and his memory will bring me many years more.
I know I'm hurt now but judging by all the wonderful messages from the people on here I will move through and not cry at every single thing relating to him.
Thank you so much for you advise, it has bought me and my family closer.
Especially me and my dad over the loss of our best friend X
Now you have rendered me to tears !! I am facing that same decision with one of my cats right now who is very old and has been very sick .When he goes who will sleep on my head at night to keep my ears warm ???

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
T
That is exactly how I felt about Muggsy. He passed in November. The time I had with him, my soulmate, is never anything I will regret. I'm glad you can see that the pain at the end doesn't wipe out the joy in the least.

Please know that it does get easier. The first few weeks are the worst, but last month, we made Muggsy a plaster headstone and then spent an hour looking at 11 years of pictures and there was a lot of laughter and good memories.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Know that you did the right thing !! My heart goes out to you I have been in your shoes and I know how hard it is.
IM sorry to hear you have also experienced this pain.
Hopefuly in time it will all make sense.
Thank you for you message.
X

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now you have rendered me to tears !! I am facing that same decision with one of my cats right now who is very old and has been very sick .When he goes who will sleep on my head at night to keep my ears warm ???
It is such a painful time, a part of me wishes I could have gone too to know he was safe.
As many have said to me, you will know when that time comes.
I didn't want to keep him here for me, I didn't want him to suffer because I was afraid of being alone.
I have no one who greets me in the morning now or shows me that unconditional love I've become accustomed too.
You will do the right thing, and ur cat will always be with you. Even in your dreams keeping your heart warm
x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is exactly how I felt about Muggsy. He passed in November. The time I had with him, my soulmate, is never anything I will regret. I'm glad you can see that the pain at the end doesn't wipe out the joy in the least.

Please know that it does get easier. The first few weeks are the worst, but last month, we made Muggsy a plaster headstone and then spent an hour looking at 11 years of pictures and there was a lot of laughter and good memories.
Im sorry to hear about beloved muggsy,
He looks like a character just like my dog.
I've chosen to have a private cremation so that I can keep his ashes.
Although his ashes will be on my shelf and I can't carry them around he will always follow me in my heart.
Thank you for the advice, as much as I could cry for an eternity for him I cant wait to reminise with a smile and look through all those photos X

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Im sorry to hear about beloved muggsy,
He looks like a character just like my dog.
I've chosen to have a private cremation so that I can keep his ashes.
Although his ashes will be on my shelf and I can't carry them around he will always follow me in my heart.
Thank you for the advice, as much as I could cry for an eternity for him I cant wait to reminise with a smile and look through all those photos X
You'll get there. You just have to do the crying part first.

I don't know if you're female or not, but my friend bought me a locket and I put a little bit of Muggsy's fur in it so I could have him around me all the time. Maybe you could do that with a teeny bit of Max's ashes?

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I understand... I lost my heart rat Klardae before she was a year old at the hands of an incompetent vet... She died in my arms and I cried all day. But it gets better... I've had four rats since then and they helped heal me. Maybe you will find a new friend too someday. Good luck and I'm very sorry for your loss. /hugs Seconding looking at puppies in a few weeks... ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am sooooo sorry for your loss. i also know what you are going thru...i had a 5 1/2 year old german shepard named scooby, had him since he was 3 months old, i always had to put him in my lap to put him to sleep when i first got him. but then he became really close to my husband. so anyway monday june 12 he was just fine,i got up tuesday around 7:45am and he did not look good he wan not acting lke himself, he was draging his front feet when he tryied to walk and then would just lay down and not look at us when we would talk to him and was breathing funny...i went to get my husband and told him to come check on him cause i think he is dying. so he checked him, we end up taking him to 2 different vets, first one said he might have heart failure or maybe cancer without doing no x-rays or blood work...me and my husband starting crying like 2 babies.. so we went to the 2nd one and he did a x-ray and said he had a blockage and maybe twisted intestine,105f temp.. he needed surgery, he said if we take him home he might not make it thru the night....he told us to talk and see what we wanted to do and i told my husband tell him to do the surgery no matter what it cost... so when i went to tell the doc to go ahead and do it he told me to get my husband so we can talk first..... i knew that was not good at all...so i called him over to me and the doctor and then he told us that he had passed away......... i have been crying like a baby since tuesday, everywhere i go it reminds me of him, so i know how you feel and im so sorry we all have to go thru this...i know it will get better later down the road......take care Lynzi1990 hope u feel better really soon. best wishes to everyone who is feeling sad...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts