Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have given in and now allowing Wicket to sleep in bed with us, lol. It's been really humid and hot lately and despite having A/C, we have very poor air circulation in our home. Wicket has woken up a couple of times in the middle of the night crying from the heat/humidity. With her being a smooshed face dog, I was worried that her crate wasn't ventilated enough to allow adequate oxygen flow. We have a fan pointing at her crate, but it's still an enclosed little box and no amount of fanning can help with the humidity. So I finally made the big decision to allow her to sleep in our bed so she can breathe easier. I know it isn't a big deal, and lots of owners let their dogs sleep in bed with them, but for me that was the rule. I have problems sleeping and having a dog that likes to constantly readjusting herself plus my lumbering boyfriend that likes to toss in his sleep, it's kinda crowded. She seems pretty happy, though I'm pretty sleep deprived after just 2 days, lol. It's only for the summer, so I hope she doesn't get used to this arrangement >.< She might start sleeping in her outside bed, but it's harder for me to make sure that's she's not up to no good. Oh the hilarity, lol.

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
I thought maybe you got a cat.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Haha! I can't wait for my puppy to be able to share the bed with me. On the really warm days I've put Auriel in the bathroom (it has marble tile) so I know its cooler in there than keeping her in her crate. I know how you feel, we have central a/c but the unit is either too small or the house has bad circulation that we had to put a window unit in the bedroom with us to help out the central unit.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha! I can't wait for my puppy to be able to share the bed with me. On the really warm days I've put Auriel in the bathroom (it has marble tile) so I know its cooler in there than keeping her in her crate. I know how you feel, we have central a/c but the unit is either too small or the house has bad circulation that we had to put a window unit in the bedroom with us to help out the central unit.
Gosh, I wish I could toss Wicket into the bathroom, but it turns out it's the hottest room in our home >.<

·
Registered
332 Posts
That is awful. Our bathroom is the coldest room and there have been nights I've wanted to crawl into the bathroom with the dog!

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Lol! .......

I've just allowed Eddee to start sleeping in my bed. It's all good ... except he lays on the pillow and on my chest and licks my face until I wake up every morning. He has no concept that dark = sleep! Lol!

You know ... once they get used to sleeping with you ... I firmly believe they expect it for life. :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
At first batman was not allowed in our bedroom at all. Now I'm teaching him that he's only allowed in when we invite him in. He really doesnt like not being with us (I had to sleep on the couch by him the first night we had him so he wouldn't whine) so we now let him sleep on the floor by our bed.

Not saying there is anything wrong with letting your dogs sleep on the bed, just saying there are alternatives that would allow for ventilation.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
You're still on the Light Side to me. :) Luke was crated for awhile, then as he got older he was allowed to venture outside (his crate). He now sleeps in the bathroom or my room or the hallway upstairs. He's not allowed downstairs though b/c if he hears a noise, he'll bark.

If your dog isn't barking or going to the bathroom, I think they're fine to be out of their crate at night.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My chow mix girl, Dixie, started out sleeping in bed with me. She HATED her crate. But we worked for MONTHS trying to get her to accept the crate (feeding her in it, tossing treats in it, etc.), and by the time she hit 6 months, she was choosing to sleep in her crate. Now, there's some nights she chooses to sleep in bed with me, or she'll sleep in her crate, or even on her dog bed by my bed. She's the only one I give the choice to, my boys sleep in their crates every night.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
personally i dont like a dog in the bed, mostly bc with ffiancee & i there isnt much room left for a dog of the size we have, tho small dogs i wouldnt have an issue with

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hold on, I am confused ...... doesnt everyone let thier dogs/cats sleep with them ?I have 6 that sleep with me, 3 cats, 2 small dogs and giant lucifer (the lab ). It sure helps keep me warm on our cold Alaskan nights.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Some people like my husband gets really, really hot at night and he doesn't like fur touching him while he sleeps. So the cats sleep with me only if they want something because of his repeatedly moving them off the bed. However with the puppy because my husband works half the night, getting home around 3 AM, he doesn't have a choice, I need someone to cuddle until he gets home.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I only used the crate to potty train my pups.
Once they were reliable on holding their pees n poos then they got the chance to sleep with mommy n daddy.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Hold on, I am confused ...... doesnt everyone let thier dogs/cats sleep with them ?I have 6 that sleep with me, 3 cats, 2 small dogs and giant lucifer (the lab ). It sure helps keep me warm on our cold Alaskan nights.
Maybe it is a climate thing. I couldn't imagine sleeping without a pet. Mom even used to let us bring a favorite lamb or piglet in at night to bed for sleeping with as well (shhh . . . don't tell dad and make sure you bring 'em out when we milk in the morn!).

I only used the crate to potty train my pups.
Once they were reliable on holding their pees n poos then they got the chance to sleep with mommy n daddy.
I have always found letting the pups sleep in from the beginning works the best for me for housetraining. They stir and I get them out . . . and they stir less often if they have a warm body to snuggle in with. If I was a heavier sleeper this would never work but I've had great success and get more sleep this way (which is very important to me).

SOB

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have always found letting the pups sleep in from the beginning works the best for me for housetraining. They stir and I get them out . . . and they stir less often if they have a warm body to snuggle in with. If I was a heavier sleeper this would never work but I've had great success and get more sleep this way (which is very important to me).

SOB
First day I had Auriel home she peed in the bed. So when she's potty trained she can sleep with me. :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First day I had Auriel home she peed in the bed. So when she's potty trained she can sleep with me. :)
Same here. I did trial naps with Wicket when she was a baby, and she's peed a good few times in bed. A couple of times she felt compelled to crawl on top of me and pee while we were in bed, such a naughty puppy >.<

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
wicket i have hard thet small dogs cant control their bladders as well so shee might not have been meaning to pee on you, it prolly just 'came over her' tho it doesmt make it any the less frustrating, or gross LOL nothing like waking up to a warm stream washing over your face :puke: :jaw:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fearghas sleeps with me when we go camping. At home he's in his crate cause the last time he "slept" with us he tore holes in the sheets.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
My dogs would think the world was coming to an end if I didn't allow them to sleep with me. So every night there is me 2 labs, a cat and sometimes a family member dogs sharing a twin sized bed. When I sleep on the couch(during summer) it is me,Tank and the cat. I take up half the couch, Tank and the cat get the other half. bentley sleeps on the floor. The house guests usually stay in crates.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Same here. I did trial naps with Wicket when she was a baby, and she's peed a good few times in bed. A couple of times she felt compelled to crawl on top of me and pee while we were in bed, such a naughty puppy >.<
Benji peed on me once... He's only had 2 accidents since I got him... I was feeling very ill and was waiting for my boyfriend to come over and take him out... I had been sleeping and didn't realize just how much time had passed... In his defense he was trying to wake me up and I wasn't moving fast enough. It was truly an accident and he just started peeing.

Benji has slept with me since day 1 and that was his only accident in my bed!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts