Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kabota's gotten a bit bored with "sit" and "down", so yesterday my husband and I worked on "speak". By the end of the second session, Kabota seemed to be having fun and was barking every time we said "speak".

I just got a call from my husband. Kabota keeps walking up to him and his mother, barking once and then waiting.

You see, I forgot that when Kabota learns a new command, he does it unprompted to see if he can get a treat. It takes him a few weeks to get that it only counts if someone asks for it.

Yup, yesterday I ensured at least of few weeks of barking Kabota. Oops!:doh:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had the same thing happen with 'speak'. Fortunately, our pup caught on quickly that unprompted barking didn't result in treats.

As an experiment I taught her two commands for this, the traditional 'speak' and the phrase 'release the hounds'. She'll now bark to either command. Now if I can just train her to jump through a hoop.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
LOL
That's hilarious.

·
Registered
83 Posts
HAHA This was so adorable!
I'm starting to teach Bonnie "Yes" and "No". My husband taught her "Crawl" and shes aced that - along with Sit, Stay, Down, and Shake. "Roll" may take a back seat for now - when I try to teach her Roll she looks around at the treat...but doesn't really roll over...maybe I need a training stick. :)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Oh my! Lol! Better you than I! I have been trying to train the opposite for the last 6 years to no avail! Lol! :D

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd probably have better luck discouraging this if I didn't laugh every time it happens. (I have a similar problem with little kids and obscenities.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts