Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my relative in Chicago is going through some hard economic problems right now and she was asking for some advice regarding switching to the "best" quality low quality dog food if that makes sense. I personally feed my dog Chicken Soup for the dog lovers soul, and I recommended it to her, she just can't afford it at this time. I really have no take on this as I never actually looked at these foods.

I was thinking Purina One because I noticed the first ingredient is chicken but does anyone have other options with a reasonable price. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I feed Whole Earth Farms which I get online at Petfooddirect. Someone on here has a promotional code for this that gives free shipping AND 10-20% off. It's really a steal and in my opinion one of the most cost effective foods. I just bought the biggest bag for Sydney recently. I think you might be able to get the code for this on the Merrick website (that's the brand that makes it). You used to be able to buy it with free shipping directly from their website, so the promotional code is part of the transition, I think.

Also, I would recommend Kirkland, which is sold at Costco.

Also, many people have had positive results with 4Health, which is sold only at Tractor Supply for a good price. I feed the cat formula to my new cat. :)

I believe all of these foods are free of corn, which is a priority in my book. If you HAVE TO get a grocery store brand, Purina One is probably the best (better than regular purina or Beneful) but I still wouldn't recommend it because of the corn. Plus it is overpriced for what you get IMO.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I second Kirkland....I've fed it during college when I was struggling to make ends meet, and I've also fed it since, to fosters and the like.

We can't all afford super premium food all the time, there is NOTHING wrong in that. While we like to do the best we can for our dogs, a balanced meal that meets AAFCO requirements IS enough for your dog to survive and even thrive. Think of all the stories we hear about "mom and dad's" dog that lived 16 years just fine on Old Roy, or Dog Chow.

So tell your relative to find the best food for what they can afford, feed it, and don't lose sleep over it. :)

Edited to add: I feed TOTW

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I would never recommend for anyone to buy anything of lesser quality than Purina Dog Chow. Once you get cheaper than that, you start seeing problems, and the price difference is marginal (some varieties of Ol' Roy cost more than Dog Chow!). Purina ONE is a step up. It's not too bad if the dog isn't allergic to it.

Does your relative have a CostCo or Sam's Club membership? Kirkland (from CostCo) is really quite good. Exceed (Sam's Club) is OK, but does have corn. Diamond Naturals is good, and where I buy it, it costs less than Purina ONE. Some Wal-Marts still sell Maxximum Nutrition, which is fairly good.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Walmarts also often sell a brand called Natural Life. Their normal adult and puppy formulas all have corn in them, but the Lamaderm varieties (silver and yellow bags for adult and puppies respectively) have no corn in them, only lamb and rice.... If I ever got into a feeding rut like your relative (i'm feeding raw or orijen currently) then that is a product I would definitely feed, it's not something I would choose ALL the time, but personally, I find it to be leaps and bounds above the likes of purina and it's a bit cheaper too, i think 11 dollars for 8 pounds versus like 15 dollars for 8 pounds of purina one... if you want to see the ingredients of Natural Life Lamaderm, then here's the link for you.

Purina ONE (two corn ingredients in first 5 list: http://www.petfooddirect.com/Product/283/Purina-One-Adult-Dog-Chicken-and-Rice-Formula
Natural life lamaderm (no corn, it's a bit more expensive here than at walmart, but still cheaper): http://www.petfooddirect.com/Product/171/Natural-Life-Lamaderm-Dog-Formula

And just so we're not comparing apples to oranges, here's purina ONE's Lamb and Rice formula, notice, there's still corn: http://www.petfooddirect.com/Product/284/Purina-ONE-Smartblend-Adult-Lamb-and-Rice-Formula-Dry-Dog-Food

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much for these option, I will be quick to communicate this to my relative in Chicago, hopefully she has a Costco membership, and the walmart option seems good as well. Again thanks.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi

I used to feed my Red Orijen regional red until the price increase , they basically lost me as a customer , 89 DOLLARS A BAG ! And I'm far from poor , its just a matter of sensibility .
I switched over to Premium Kirkland ( Costco ) and waited for all the bad things I expected . Guess what ? His coat looks excellent , his stools are great and all around a super healthy energetic Aussie . He's been on it for roughly a year now . Its a third of the price of regional red .

So my relative in Chicago is going through some hard economic problems right now and she was asking for some advice regarding switching to the "best" quality low quality dog food if that makes sense. I personally feed my dog Chicken Soup for the dog lovers soul, and I recommended it to her, she just can't afford it at this time. I really have no take on this as I never actually looked at these foods.

I was thinking Purina One because I noticed the first ingredient is chicken but does anyone have other options with a reasonable price. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
374 Posts
petfooddirect.com code for 20% off all Merrick products plus free shipping is FREESHIP50MPC. Enter the code at checkout. 35 lb bag of Whole Earth Farms is $32 less 20%. The price fluctuates for some reason. This is actually one of the higher I've seen but still a very good buy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I went ahead and told her, and she is on her way to buy the food at Costco. She feels good knowing that Kirkland is actually not that bad as she was really worried about feeding anything else other than what she was giving.

I currently feed my dog Chicken Soup for the dog lover's mind and Sasha looks and feels great. I have gone from Canidae to Blue, until finally arriving at what I currently feed. I always knew that these "commercial" foods weren't that great, so I always by-passed them. It's great to have these option just in case (knock on wood) a situation like this happens in my household.

Extra I actually went to Publix (local supermarket) to see what I could recommend her, and I was actually impressed at the packaging these commercial foods have. The colors, big letter, everything about them seemed attractive, a person who is not educated wouldn't hesitate on buying Pedigree, Purina, etc. heck, even I would. I would say that Purina ONE seemed very attractive, this could be a contributing factor as to why these food are just that.. so "commercial" and popular, they just look good from outside the box.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I have recently checked out a food called Infinia and it has pretty darn good ingredients list for the price. You might want to check that out. Also keep in mind that saving the money on the bag is sometimes a worse deal then spending just a little more, feeding less and having a healthy dog. Most of the grain free or low grain foods require smaller feed amounts then foods full of cheap fillers. In the long run, you spend less on food and have a healthier dog to show for it.

Try to stay away from the big chain stores as their prices are often much higher. Try to find a feed store, mill etc... The food is often much cheaper and they sometimes have deals for staying loyal to their store. The place I buy from has a buy 8 bags, get one free deal. Works out to be pretty good deal per bag price that way. You don't have to buy them all at once, obviously. Shop around for the best price.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Not to sound schnicky....but can your relative scrimp on something other than dog food? I know that times are tough for some people, but why is it that the dog always gets the crap? It drives me nuts when I go to the store and see fancy, expensive food (usually convenience foods) in baskets and the crappiest, cheapest dog food on the shelf under the cart.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
It drives me nuts when I go to the store and see fancy, expensive food (usually convenience foods) in baskets and the crappiest, cheapest dog food on the shelf under the cart.
Oh, me too....but Kirkland or Diamond Naturals aren't junk. They're perfectly good dog foods, just not AS good, maybe, as something more expensive. Not like they're out there buying store brand generics. Like the family I used to babysit for....the dad was a chiropractor. They sent the kids to private school, had a hot tub, etc. And they fed their dogs store-brand generic food. Ugh, the poor dogs looked terrible. But just because someone can't afford EVO or Orijen is no reason to cast aspersions.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
But just because someone can't afford EVO or Orijen is no reason to cast aspersions.
That's why I said I didn't want to sound "schnicky"....posts don't always translate intentions well. My point is, when times are tough...scrimp on some things, maybe fewer dinners out, fewer Starbucks coffees, and spend the money on better food for the poor dog. I don't know about Kirkland food. If most folks think it's ok....well I'll take your word for it. I've never checked it out. I am not trying to be the "dog food police"...trust me.

I honestly don't know that this is the case with this person, but it drives me nuts when people say that they can't afford some things, and yet they manage to buy things that are not necessary. If they are truly on their last penny, I sympathize and I am truly sorry for them and hope they can get on their feet soon. I know there are good people out there who are living from paycheck to paycheck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts