Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys ever get told this?

I've heard it a few times, usually while we're at work. I love taking little two minute breaks throughout the day to go play/train/smother with attention. Bones likes it too. lol Plus I love to get my brag on to anyone who will listen.

I always reply that I get more crazy about them the older they get/the longer we've been together. The somewhat depressing thing is most people that say it to me have dogs of their own. :/

·
Registered
337 Posts
Nope, I've never had anybody say that to me. And thank god, because I'd be pretty upset over it. Why would you love you dog any less after they've been a loyal and devoted companion to you for so many years? I love them even more than when I got them, but mostly because I become so thankful to them for having blessed me and cannot imagine when it comes time for them to go.

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
Nobody's ever said that to me about my dogs.

They say that to my wife about me. All the time. With incredulity.

Or maybe it's sarcasm.

·
Registered
97 Posts
And thus why longer lived animals are commonly rehomed, lol. I laugh to hide my sadness, anger, and frustration.

I frequent craig's list, mainly searching for rodents/small pets and what I've found is the #1 most common small pet on CL to be rehomed are Guinea Pigs. Any day of the week, I can usually find a "free guinea pig" ad locally, plus many others from people still hoping to make back some of the money spent. My theory as to why... they live MUCH longer than most other small pets, averaging 6-8 years over the 1-4 years a mouse, rat, gerbil, or hamster may live. Chinchillas are also long lived, but are quite a bit more expensive and thus not as common, though I still see many. Yet I rarely see mice, who live 1 to 2 years usually, and are much less expensive than guinea pigs or chinchillas... or even gerbils, who live slightly longer (our oldest gerbil is nearly 3 years old and about to pass).

Sad truth, lots of people get tired of pets the longer they have them... Thankfully not everyone is like that.

My parents' dogs are 9 and nearly 15. My mom loves those dogs as much as, if not more than, she loved them then. And my family has a very short attention span when it comes to most things, so I will say I'm pretty impressed by them still being dedicated and adoring those dogs.

At least thanks to human-kind's tendency to get tired of animals, I'll be able to get free guinea pigs when I decide I want them!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I was at someone's house for a get together one time, she was a coworker of my boyfriend. She and her husband had a very sweet 12 year old female cocker spaniel. I could not believe my ears when I heard her say that she hoped the dog wouldn't live much longer, she was so tired of her. It made me so sad. Eventually that dog did pass away, and they got a GSD puppy. That dog was so strong, he pulled that woman off her feet on a walk and broke her hip. I call that Karma.

·
Registered
46 Posts
People say that about my 14 year old whippet... "oh aren't you tired of her by now?" It makes me want to punch them and cry at the same time. I have such a bond with her! Its incomparable to anything else. I've had her since I was 6... that dog is my baby. I can't imagine how people think I could just wish she was already dead.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was at someone's house for a get together one time, she was a coworker of my boyfriend. She and her husband had a very sweet 12 year old female cocker spaniel. I could not believe my ears when I heard her say that she hoped the dog wouldn't live much longer, she was so tired of her. It made me so sad. Eventually that dog did pass away, and they got a GSD puppy. That dog was so strong, he pulled that woman off her feet on a walk and broke her hip. I call that Karma.
Oh, sweet justice.

Feels to me like it would be better to try to rehome an older dog in that situation so it could live it's last days loved rather than resented. =/ I'd have taken her! lol. I fell in love with an american cocker spaniel who was 12 (same age as me at the time!) and would have done anything to take him home with me. Thankfully his owners actually loved him, so sadly no doggy for 12 year old me.

·
Registered
321 Posts
oh, believe me, I wanted to offer to take that dog home with me that very minute. Unfortunately, at the time we were unable to have a dog where we were living. The one good thing was that this woman's parents lived right next door and they doted on that dog. She was with them during the day while these people were at work because she had become incontinent and needed to go out frequently. So she was loved for about 40 hours a week.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
How can you not like old dogs? Old dogs are the best things in the world.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've never had an old dog yet, but my two dogs are now seven years old. I love them more with every passing year. My black lab has a little salt in his pepper now, and that graying chin could not be more adorable to me. My favorite thing about a mature dog is the way our understanding of each other increases with time.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Right? There is nothing on this earth as sweet as a sweet old dog. Especially when they've grown old with you.

Sweet?

My old dog has seen me through the hardest times of my life. Of course I still love her!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Never heard this from anyone, but my dogs are young. I don't know if my mom ever heard it with our poodle growing up, but she would have probably responded with something very sweet and very cutting at the same time. Me? If anyone ever says that to me, I would probably just laugh at them and then say "Oh, you weren't joking? That's messed up."

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
No one has said that to me, either, HOWEVER.... I can empathize with both sides of the issue.

I have one very old girl, Darby the bichon, in liver failure, so I know her time is limited. I cherish every day with her. She's on a lot of meds and supplements, she has pee accidents, she's blind and mostly deaf, and gets "lost" inside and outside. I have to keep track of her, and help her when she gets "lost" (she will start to whine and cry and of course, I go find her, even if I'm just on the other end of the sofa). I love her dearly, and wish I could rewind time and make her young again. She has moments where she is happy happy happy! And I love it!

On the other hand, old dogs are a lot of work. Managing and medicating and caring. I'm ok with it, but it can be exhausting. Caregiver's fatigue, you know? And it's so sad seeing them fall apart.

And then there are dogs/pets who are just turds LOL. Ones that are always into mischief- they're fun dogs, but once, just once It'd be nice to be able to relax and be able to trust that certain dog, you know? (thinking of my first dog, a minpin, trouble!)

And then there is the hair, pee, poop, feeding, etc that can just make a person tired. Especially if you have kids and such going on around you.

I will NOT be a person who gets rid of a pet just because they are old or lots of work. Bu tI definitely empathize with the tired of taking care of them... I have 4 dogs and a cat indoors, (the gerbils and rabbit indoors in winter) and it's lots of cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning.

We had guinea pigs. We had 4 of them in this homemade condo with plexi-glass fronts, it was very cool. But 4 boy g.pigs are stinky. They like to mark and such and that's stinky. They lived a good long time, one to 4, and the other 3 to age 5-ish. I was sad they passed, but I was glad the stink was gone. Of course we replaced with bunny and gerbils, and I've vowed they are the last indoor caged pets forever. :(

So I do love all my critturs very much, and have committed to their forever care, but I definitely understand where people are coming from with being tired of the pets. They are lots of work!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Nope, never heard that one before. Most people I know love their dogs as if they were kids, same as me.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Non-pet people don't always understand the bond that we have. However, I will say that once my dog turned 14 or so, it has tempered the joy that I used to have because now I'm almost solely a caregiver. There are brief moments where he will lean into a scratch and rest his head on me, but then he is off in his world of CCD. When I take him outside, he just slowly orbits around me in large circles .. it's really bizarre. He gets lost quickly as he is mostly blind and completely deaf. He has myelopathy and his back legs aren't very sturdy any more. I have to put eye ointment in twice a day because he now has keratoconjunctivitis sicca (chronic dry eye .. his eyes no longer produce tears like they should). He's currently on an antibiotic (3rd or 4th week now) for a staph infection on his back, with accompanying medicated baths three times a week. He is losing his house training. I'm washing a load of towels almost every day.

However, he's excited to eat and will get excited (old dog version) when you pat his side, so I just continue with what I'm doing.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I dogsit an 18 year old dog and walk a 16 year old (large!!) dog and I adore them. They are both deaf and blind, the 18 year old walks around like a puppy learning to walk, but she is SO full of joy and sleeps most of the time but when she thinks she's getting a treat she's like a young girl again. And the 16 year old walks like a really old man, also sleeps most of the time, and when he gets "lost" and you find him, you can tell he's happy about it. I've never had the pleasure of having a dog into old age but I love the ones I've met! If anyone said that to me i don't know if I'd have a polite response.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm always more shocked to realize the people that say it have dogs of their own, then it just makes me sad for their dogs. The industry I work in seems to be split down the middle between people who throw away animals when they no longer serve a function and those that hang on to the very end.

Senior dogs are definitely a lot of work. I've lost two dogs in my life. One at nine from cancer, one at thirteen from heart troubles. Both were perfectly fine until suddenly they weren't. I wouldn't say I'm excited for my current dog's old age, but I'm certainly going to adore her just as much then as I do now and consider myself lucky for every extra minute I get with her.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts