Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had to drive into DC tonight to do a meet and greet with the dog I'll be watching from Thursday to Tue/Wed this week. I HATE driving in DC as I almost always get lost and turned around, and therefore rarely drive there.

Jubel is usually very good in the car but the few times I've had him in the car when I've gotten lost it's like he knows it and starts whining. The whining just amps up my frustration over being lost in a vicious loop. I can usually get him to hush for a minute or too but once he's starting his whining in the car it's not going to completely stop until we get where we're going.

Anyone else with a dog who just seems to know when you're lost and starts to make a pest of themselves?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
No ... but Jubel is probably feeding off of your emotions. :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
I would freak out driving in DC or any large city. The only traffic jams here are too many motorhomes slowing down to see the scenery. As far as emotions my dogs DEFINITLY know when I am having a bad day for whatever reason .

·
Registered
427 Posts
I HATED driving in DC when I lived in Maryland. Mandy would definitely have known how upset I was if I was lost in a DC traffic jam.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I feel your pain! Well, not really. Biscuit just naps in the car, thank goodness. But I certainly can relate to the DC driving.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Bella knows when other drivers are p!ssing me off - she curls up on the backseat to make herself as small as possible until my blood pressure goes back down. She also knows when my computer is about to be kicked....she'll hide in bed. I try not to get upset when she's around....I try.

·
Registered
11,340 Posts
Chester loves the car and doesn't care if he's just riding while I run errands and doesn't even get to go anywhere, so unless I got so frustrated that I was shouting or something, I doubt he'd notice I was lost. Now, if we pass one of his favorite places he perks up coming towards it and if I keep going past it, he lays back down on the seat kinda mopey looking.

I totally feel ya about driving in DC... I used to have to drive a company Suburban around the middle of DC. Huge vehicle, horrible blind spot and NO maneuvering room for parking. Grr.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha no he starts to whine before I even admit to myself I'm lost. I just think I missed my turn and have to turn around it'll be there... for those familiar with driving in DC that is NOT the case if you miss your turn. I'm sure if I did it more I'd realize the pattern to the one way streets and such but I just avoid it and aren't likely to ever learn it.

Of course he'll also start to whine sometimes if we're just sitting in traffic, though he's getting over that since he's been going to daycare 1-2 times a week and 80% of the time we will be sitting in traffic on the beltway on the way home. Last trip I took him on down to my parents in NC I hit horrible traffic on south I-95 and Jubel started whining so much that I pulled over figuring he just HAD to go to the bathroom. Nope he just wanted out of the car because sitting in traffic apparently sucks to him too. Not a peep out of him usually on long car trips as long as we aren't stuck in bad traffic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts