Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well that went fast. It's strange to think it's been a whole year since we fell for the cute little puppy at animal humane.
I know (now, with the help of this forum) we approached the whole thing in all the wrong ways. We were looking for another dog to be a companion for Rosie our ACD/Border Collie mix. Now I know you shouldn't do that. Also I hadn't expected to get a puppy and was so Not prepared!
We muddled through. She is healthy and seems to be happy. She's a goofy girl. She tends to treat Rosie like she is a sheep. You should see when she gives her the "eye" and sprints for her. Rosie holds her own though. They are the companions I originally envisioned.
There isn't a day Gracie doesn't make me laugh.
I do have a question though, how important is testing for the MDR1 mutation for herding breeds? We're not sure of her breeds but she's definitely a herder. My husband balks at the price, especially because I think it's only fair to test Rosie as well (she definitely has ACD in her!). Wouldn't vets be able to err on the side of caution and give alternative drugs if a dog is likely to have the mutation? Or do they truly require the test?
Thanks for your opinions. IMG_20181017_122556_hdr.jpg

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! She had a good one. She got a jolly ball and loves the thing.
Thanks
It's ok about MDR1 I'll check with our new vet when she goes for her annual check up at the end of the month.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts