Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hate snow, ice, cold weather, but that doesn't stop the dogs lol. We have had a couple of snow storms and typical cold temps, wind, rain, sleet and snow. I bought a new digital camera.... nothing fancy, but decided to get a few pics out today. Mostly the dogs don't mind the lower temps. I am not as active with them, anyone else less active? Still try to keep them happy.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Those are great pictures. The cold here is making me crazy. I just got a new puppy this week and thought I would train her to immediately go outside. But most of the time she just sits and stares at me or tries to eat the grass. Then when we come inside she immediately goes and pees on the pee pad. I think we will stay with pee pads for a while before transitioning out to the cold.

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
I love your pitties! As always :D

It's cold here... 18 degrees? or so right now. It doesn't stop us - winters are long here and I'd go crazy if I couldn't go outside! Here's a photo of a hike to a waterfall... We went multiple times in the summer, and just went last weekend. Stunning difference!

kUdddhe.jpg
(It's a big waterfall; my partner is standing on the right in the photo if you can see him)

t7RPBkc.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,505 Posts
It's the rain and ice that gets us more than the cold. Sam has a poor coat and even with a raincoat he can get pretty soaked and cold if the rain is heavy/chilly enough, especially since he's on the smaller side. And the ice is just dang unsafe. We're prepared this year with lots of enrichment games, new fitness equipment, and a beginner scentwork DVD, but nothing really replaces a good hike. We try to get him out as often as possible when the weather is safe and enjoyable for him/us.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm lucky I guess because I have long haired dogs and they all absolutely love the cold. I remember housebreaking my first puppy in Winter though and that was NOT fun (golden retriever - he loved the cold too, I didn't).

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are great pictures. The cold here is making me crazy. I just got a new puppy this week and thought I would train her to immediately go outside. But most of the time she just sits and stares at me or tries to eat the grass. Then when we come inside she immediately goes and pees on the pee pad. I think we will stay with pee pads for a while before transitioning out to the cold.
I feel you. I'm using a litterbox and working on potty training. It is going okay but eating snow seems to be a favorite past time. I start with puppy pads but they'll begin tearing them up around 4 weeks lol.

I love your pitties! As always :D

It's cold here... 18 degrees? or so right now. It doesn't stop us - winters are long here and I'd go crazy if I couldn't go outside! Here's a photo of a hike to a waterfall... We went multiple times in the summer, and just went last weekend. Stunning difference!

View attachment 245942
(It's a big waterfall; my partner is standing on the right in the photo if you can see him)

View attachment 245944
My dogs would go crazy but I'd be just fine to stay inside lol. It is up to 32 today. Some areas all the snow is gone then other large areas still covered in snow.
The waterfall pic is great. It looks so cold lol.

It's the rain and ice that gets us more than the cold. Sam has a poor coat and even with a raincoat he can get pretty soaked and cold if the rain is heavy/chilly enough, especially since he's on the smaller side. And the ice is just dang unsafe. We're prepared this year with lots of enrichment games, new fitness equipment, and a beginner scentwork DVD, but nothing really replaces a good hike. We try to get him out as often as possible when the weather is safe and enjoyable for him/us.
Enrichment games sound like a good choice to keep warm. Ice is definitely the worse.

I'm lucky I guess because I have long haired dogs and they all absolutely love the cold. I remember housebreaking my first puppy in Winter though and that was NOT fun (golden retriever - he loved the cold too, I didn't).
I've had double coat and didn't worry about them at all. It is certainly a bonus in winter.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
not a cold weather gal... they love it.. they either in the hay at the horse barn or hanging out at the back of the house deck. I fill the laundry room up with straw there is no back door (Tasman ate it a while back) just the laundry room out to the deck lol ...

27655085_2022134927815792_489712450784483862_n_zps4eye1abm.jpg

27858411_2022133857815899_7652240438423942417_n_zpsw0blkadh.jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
Oh my gosh Patricia, I'm freezing just looking at your photos!

My dog is pretty little, and she doesn't like cold. I make her wear a fleece hoodie when the temp hits 32, which is adorable and probably not totally necessary.

Rain is even worse. She has a rain coat, but she hates it and spends our whole walk being miserable.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts