Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the drama of the title. Just had to rant a bit. I was on the way home from work along a 20 mile stretch of a country 2-lane road. Speed limit is 50 mph but plenty of people go 60-70 mph. Luckily today I had slowed down because a car up ahead was turning and there were people walking down the side of the road - an unusual occurrence for this road. Slowing down, I see something else moving at the side of the road. We get a lot of deer on this road, so I'm always on the lookout for them. This was too small to be a deer but still looked pretty big. As I approached I realized it was a beautiful large breed mix, maybe a great dane + mastiff. Just a gorgeous dog. Running wild, no owner in sight. Sigh...

Suddenly it dashes in front of me crossing the road. Then quickly it dashed back in front of me again. I pulled down a side road and turned around to follow it. It crossed the road in front of me again and took off across a field. I followed, turning down another side road because I was pretty sure the dog would come out at the end of the field. Sure enough, it came busting through the hedge. I kept following it for about 10 yards when I saw this boy, about 12 years old, come strolling out of the same field. I stopped and asked if he knew whose dog that was galloping up the road. He said, "Yes. It's ours." I told him that I could have hit his dog with my SUV at least three times in the last few minutes as the dog crossed and recrossed the road. He apologized and hurried after his dog. I thought of a million things I should have said, but frankly I was nonplussed by his nonchalant response and I was late for an appointment and just got back on the road.

I pray that boy and his family take better care of that beautiful dog in future but know that I'll probably see him running around again some day. Or worse, I'll see him dead on the side of the road. Very sad.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Isn't irresponsibility just awful?

I guess you can't really blame a 10 year old though. I'm sure there are parents or a guardian or someone behind him that has led him to feel so lax about his dog being loose.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I really hate to see dogs running on the side of roads. I always try to pull over, but since I drive 50 miles to and from work sometimes I don't have the time to pull over. I sure hope that boy was getting his dog and this was their first and only accident with that dog getting loose.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't irresponsibility just awful?

I guess you can't really blame a 10 year old though. I'm sure there are parents or a guardian or someone behind him that has led him to feel so lax about his dog being loose.
I'm sure you're right. He was a nice young man, but I really don't think he realized there was a problem.

I really hate to see dogs running on the side of roads. I always try to pull over, but since I drive 50 miles to and from work sometimes I don't have the time to pull over. I sure hope that boy was getting his dog and this was their first and only accident with that dog getting loose.
I hope that was the case, too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts