Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jesus, it's been a long time. Last time I think I was active here was 2016. I have no idea who's still around or who even remembers me, but I thought I'd pop back in for a minute for old time sake. The last time I was here, those of you who remember me may remember I was living a nomadic lifestyle in the south west with Charlotte and Ma'ii. We've since started a small family and have young children now, and as such have moved back to the north east and settled down for a bit.

Charlotte and Ma'ii of course stayed with us, and our kids love them just as much as we always have, and the feeling is mutual. They have been fantastic family dogs.

Ma'ii passed away yesterday at 14 years old from prostate cancer. He was going down hill gradually for a while, and took a turn for the worst this past weekend. He wasn't the easiest dog to live with, but he was a VERY loyal, loving, and devoted dog right to the very end. I miss him tremendously.

Charlotte is still with us, and while old, she's in really good health and doing fantastic. She's mellowed a lot towards other dogs in her old age, so long as said dogs are calm and not trying to kill her lol. There's a possibility for another dog in the near future, but I need to process the loss of Ma'ii first. We also need to take our time looking for the right match. Our kids are really good with animals considering they are 3 and 19 months, but are still kids, plus we have a cat now, who's basically a dog lol.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I totally remember you RCloud, and even envied your lifestyle a bit! I'm sorry to hear about Ma'ii. He was a special boy and I know how much he meant to you and your family.
Despite the sad news (and happy news too!) it's good to see your name pop up on DF!

·
Registered
17,925 Posts
I'm aroaund and remember you. I'm sorry for the loss of Ma'ii but glad to hear Charlotte's still around - and to hear from you!

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Sorry to hear about Ma'ii! Cancer bites the big one. :(
Exciting news about your new family, though - congrats!! Are you back in NH?

I just checked in yesterday as well for the first time in over a year with some Bella updates. I've been struggling with major anxiety issues since Bella got sick two-and-a-half years ago. Since many of us started in this forum 8-10+ years ago, there's unfortunately been a lot of bad news to log on to. Couldn't handle it. :(

Good to "see" ya again! :)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you back in NH?
We are! We want to eventually do more traveling when the kids are older, but are going to be stationary in the general area for a few years. Which is fine by Charlotte. At this point in her life, a comfortable bed, good food, and lots of full body pats is all she asks for :)

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
We are! We want to eventually do more traveling when the kids are older, but are going to be stationary in the general area for a few years. Which is fine by Charlotte. At this point in her life, a comfortable bed, good food, and lots of full body pats is all she asks for :)
Welcome back - to DF and NH! :) :)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys think dogs know when something has happened to a long time companion/"pack" mate?

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I do! Not necessarily "something is wrong" but rather "something is different", usually. That said, Brae didn't act any different when Sor had cancer and was declining, or when Sor was gone. But I raised them both to be independent of each other and they didn't rely on each other or seek companionship, so I think my situation was atypical.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I am so so sorry for your loss. We lost our Dahlia a month ago and it's just been the worst. :-(

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do! Not necessarily "something is wrong" but rather "something is different", usually. That said, Brae didn't act any different when Sor had cancer and was declining, or when Sor was gone. But I raised them both to be independent of each other and they didn't rely on each other or seek companionship, so I think my situation was atypical.
That's basically how it was with Charlotte and Ma'ii. My excuse to get Ma'ii to begin with was so "Charlotte could have a companion and wouldn't be lonely", but really both dogs were acquaintances who tolerated each other at best. Not that they didn't care about each other. They definitely did, and would look out for each other and be quick to defend the other if one of them ran into trouble. But they would have been just fine living without the other as well. Charlotte seems confused, but not upset or depressed.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I remember y'all. :) It has been a long time. Congratulations on your family! And I'm sorry to hear about Ma'ii. I'm so glad that you have the time together that you did--14 is a long, good life and you gave him a unique one.

·
Super Moderator
2,434 Posts
I don't know if we ever talked much, but I remember reading your adventures! My condolences for Ma'ii, he always seemed like a really special dog.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts