Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dog recently has been scratching a lot (in the past month or so). The past couple days I've noticed a couple spots that the fur seems to be falling off of. Nothing extreme. There's a one inch diameter aprox. patch on a leg, and the tip of her ear (just along the edges). I was reading about dog mange, and at first I was worried that was what it was, but I read some more about the different kinds and it all seemed way more extreme than this. We also have another dog and cat and neither are itchy. Could it be a diet thing or allergies? Or should we get her checked for mange?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's eating taste of the wilds, so I doubt it's a food allergy, but I have noticed she sneezes a lot more than most dogs, so I'm wondering if she has an airborne allergy (whether related or not to the itchiness) I will call a vet on Monday, at the very least to ask what they think. We were planning on taking her in at the end of this month for a full check up and shots and all, but we recently had a very bad moving situation which left us very short on cash. We were hoping to postpone the vet check another few paychecks...which was why I thought I would ask and see if anyone on here had experience with mange or itchiness, and what it looked like and all. From what I read, two types are only gotten by puppies, and the last type seemed way more extreme than this. Is this true? Nothing is ***** or crusty. It's just a little hairless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a retriever mix with many allergies (corn, rice, flea bites, etc). My dog would often lick and scratch himself until he bled and had many bald spots. I changed his diet to Purina pro plan for sensitive skin and it help immensely. You could also try supplements for the skin, like fish oil. If the other animals are not scratching, i have heard of dogs forming bad habits such as scratching from lack of exercise. If your dog is an active breed and not getting enough exercise, it is possible to develop habits such as licking, scratching, and chewing. Still, it may be best to play it self and talk to your vet, every dog is different.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She doesn't seem to be very active, although recently she's been more playful with the younger dog.
My dad also suggested dry skin, as it's winter and we heat with wood, it's VERY dry. I just noticed, though, there is more spots on her back, not totally bald, but the skin is dry and cracked, and the hair is thin.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree that fish oils are great to help with the skin & coat. I would also recommend Calm Coat. they advertise on here & you can get pretty good deals. They ahve a spray that stops itching immediatly & even helps to regrow hair. I have used this on my dogs & so far so good.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Our vet told us it almost definitely wasn't mange, as it wasn't nearly extreme enough. So we are giving her Omega 3 fatty acids in her food, and she's looking better. We're also rubbing calendula oil on her bald spots.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Did your vet rule out a thyroid problem? I could be way off base here but, years ago we had 2 small dogs, and one started losing her hair and itching, skin turning blackish and smelly. Turned out to be a thyroid problem and was remedied with inexpensive medication. One of the symptoms is the dog seeking heat, laying very close to stoves, laying where sun shines, etc. The vet would be able to run the test in one day.

Hope you find the answer. It's frustrating trying to find a remedy while your pet is in discomfort. Good luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They asked about that, but since the patches were mostly on her front, instead of her back end, and the skin didn't look funny, just dry, they decided it wasn't thyroid. Thanks for thinking of that, though. Luckily we have really good vets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts