Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 6 mos. old westie male. for the past few months, he started scratching to the point of losing hair on one leg & biting at the base of his tail. the vet thought it was the solid gold food. switched to wellness for a few weeks then he had me try blue. the same problem scratching and abnormal bowels. he has been on a bland diet for a month. also, he would vomit foam around 5 or 6 a.m. he has been taking reglan before bed, along with a small bowl of bland food (beef, rice, yogurt). vomiting stopped. however, today, his stool was like that of a dog with colitis. i took a sample to the vet and he agreed. (also checked for parasites and he is clean). he gave me fortiflora by purina and metronidazole 250 mg - 1/2 tab twice per day. he is now so sleepy since the fortiflora, he won't come out of his cage. we're talking a westie puppy - not normal. i feel that there is probably a very simple explanation to his itching and his bowels, we just need to hit upon the correct answer. any input that anyone has for me would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
The vet tech that I work with Scottie has severe allergies and colitis. She had allergy testing done on him. The lab has made a custom allergy shot for him and given her a list of foods that do not contain things he is allergic to. She is having great success with this. Talk to your vet and see if they offer this. (By the way it is done with BW not skin tests.) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. we had talked of skin tests, but were not ready to jump into that. i didn't realize that there was blood work that could identify allergens. appreciate the feedback.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts