Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a Min Poodle who has been itching uncontollably for the past 2 weeks. I feed him Merrick Before Grain Bufallo so I'm sure it's not a food issue. He's always been an itchy dog with sensitive skin. I've been washing him with oatmeal shampoo for years. It's gotten really bad since the Spring started and I really think it has something to do with allergies to grass or polland or something.

I'm looking for some tips on what to do to help him. He has his neck bleeding. He had a hot spot the other day which I cut the hair away from and washed with an antibacterial soap. It's gone now. I don't know what to do. I've tried looking online and I found some advice but I'm not really sure what to do.

I'm stuck between trying a apple cider vinager spray or soaking him in some type of oil. The reason being, I don't know If I should try the ACV because I feel like it would dry out his skin even more. Would olive oil work? Can I just rub it into to his skin and leave it for like 10 min and then wash it out with his oatmeal shampoo?

Don't tell me to go to the vet please. He's been to the vet twice this month. First for a cbc/chem and urinalysis and again for vomitiming from some type of canine flu. I really feel like this is something a home remedy could handle and that my wallet coudln't. Hopefully someone can help me on here :). Thank you.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I don't know that seasonal allergies are going to be helped by vinegar or olive oil. Have you tried Benadryl? How often are you bathing/brushing him? It's important to get the pollen off his fur so it's not trapped up against his skin.

I hate to suggest what you've already rejected, but if Benadryl doesn't help, I can only suggest consulting with a vet on allergy treatments. I've seen what poodles with allergies will do to themselves firsthand, it's not pretty.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okay, so far I've been giving him benadryl about twice a day. One pill, half in the morning and half at night. Also got a medicated shampoo, Perfect Coat brand, with coal tar..smells like crap but seems to help. Leave in on for about 5 min and wash it off. Every three days for the last week so far. I know...washing a dog that much makes skin dryer but I'm thinking he might have some skin parisite...started after he got groomed..don't think they clean they're tools properly, prob picked up mange. Sister's dog, basset/bulldog mix had some serious itching issues and she recommended the shampoo and said it really helped a lot. Did notice an improvement.

I need some help with dosage issues. FISH OIL. Anyone know anything about it? My dog wieghs about 17 pounds and I've been giving him 2 pills a day that are 1200mg. I don't actually give him the pills because he won't eat them, I just squeeze the oil out onto his food from the pills so it might be less then 1200mg in the end but I've been reading and apparently that's not good? The brand is Nature's Bounty, doesn't say anything about vitamins E or D which is apparently the issue with giving too much to dogs? I don't know. I've been reading that you should give more if there is skin and allergy issues but some say it's dangerous. There's all types of comflicting information. Help me please.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, this is Pepper:

Maybe seeing how cute he is will entice someone to answer =].

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's pretty much all over. Nothing noticable on the skin. Only scabs from him scratching himself too hard. It does seem to be more on his chest and stomach area though. He has noticably dry skin and dandruff but he's always had dry skin and been itchy. I used a 100% natural oatmeal shampoo on him because of that. It's getting worse though and he's starting to cause bleeding and scabbing while itching and he's itching way too much, it's like he has no peace because of it. Which is why I decided to come on here and see if I could get any advice. I've been giving him bendadryl and washing him in a medicated shampoo and that seems to relieve that itching quite a bit. So now my main concern and finding something to make his skin and coat healthier which is why I'm looking for some advice about fish oil. I've been giving him 2 pills a day, each 1200mg and he's a 17pd. dog. I want to make sure that is an okay amount, not too much and not too little for him. I also give him a tsp of olive oil some days instead of the fish oil. I bought him a salmon based dog food. Merrick B.G. Salmon dog food to be exact which should help too I hope.

So at this point I just need advice on the proper dosage of fish oil to give and possibly some advice on some other products with Omega-3 or anything else in it to help skin and coat to add to his food as well or as a supstitute for the fish oil every once in a while?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Get some Microtek anti itch shampoo, and bathe every 3 days for a couple of weeks. Then do once a week for a few weeks, then monthly.
Dry the dog thoroughly after baths...towel/blow dry on low heat.

Have you seen any flea dirt on him? If so, could be a flea allergy.

Look up proper dosing for Benadryl. I'd cut the fish oil back to every other day.

Try putting a child's T shirt on him for walks/when out in grass, and remove as soon as he gets home. May help protect against environmental allergies to grass/etc. Doggie boots are another possibility.

·
Registered
89 Posts
He could've developed a food allergy since food allergies can happen anytime from eating the same food all the time. Besides that, it could be parasites which only vets can test for. Make sure you wash all areas the dog has access to and all toys, change his food to a different protein that hes never had before and see if it gets better. Home remedies only can give him minor relief, you'll still need to get to the root of the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts