Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our puppy (who hasn't come home with us yet-still with her mommy and siblings) is very itchy. We took her to the vet and she has no allergies or fleas. I paid to take her there to get NO answers. I tried special shampoo from the vet, puppy calming meds, and nothing has worked. Then we tried putting a little Vaseline behind her ears and on her hind legs (that's where she's itching and biting) and it worked! She calmed down and hasn't itched since. She isn't licking it off either. Is this safe to use? Has anyone heard of this before? She's only 4.5 weeks old. Also, she's not from a breeder, she's from my BF's sister. Her two Cocker Spaniel's had puppies. His sister wants us to take her at 6 weeks but I think we should wait until she's 8 weeks. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
What do you think?
About the age you should take her? Definitely wait till 8 weeks. Maybe you could compromise at 7 to 7 1/2 weeks?

I don't think a little Vaseline would hurt anything, but I would use olive oil or Vitamin E oil (just break open the capsule) instead because they're safe for dogs to eat. In fact, I'd feed the puppy some kind of fish oil. You can get capsules of that, too. It sounds like it might be dry skin. Did the vet mention that? Are the other puppies itching, too? Do you know what the puppy's eating?

As far as getting the puppy from someone who bred their 2 Cocker Spaniels, I have a lot to say about that, but you didn't ask about that, so I'll just give the advice you asked for. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I second the part about 8 weeks and see if you can encourage the owner of the litter to keep all the puppies for that long, 14 days isn't much to us but to a little puppy it's a huge dfference!!! It may be a challenge, but well worth the effort *smiles*.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thank you so much for your input. i am fine with her staying longer, it's my bf's sister that might not be fine. i doubt she will mind, but it's always a possibility. right now i almost feel like i'm bossing her around but if i could be home 24/7 and help wean her with her siblings and mom... i would. BELIEVE ME. i want nothing but the best for her. so i call her like 3 times a day to check on her and tell her what i want her eating and when she needs to pee, sleep, eat, etc. she's on a schedule. lol.

my step-mom told me something about vitamin e but i didn't know you could buy it in oil. i've ony heard of tablets. i will buy that for SURE. i'm also going to buy a comfort zone diffuser to help calm her once she's with us. i have heard great things about those.

the vet said she had dandruff but only gave me shampoo for it. that didn't help. i will try vitamin e. thank you you have no idea how much this helps me. :) AND her more importantly.

since the mom isn't feeding anymore, we bought puppy formula from the vet, and we mix in purina puppy chow with some meals so she can slowly start switching to that.

she is actually 3/4 cocker spaniel and 1/4 lab. the dad is the mix and the mom is the pure breed. now i'm asking about the breeding... what is wrong with breeding them? other than the fact that the world is over-populated with puppies/dogs as it is. is it just asking for trouble (health-wise)? don't leave anything out... i need to know all i can now before i get her. lol.

by the way that's her in my avatar. :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Aw... She's so little and cute. :)

my step-mom told me something about vitamin e but i didn't know you could buy it in oil.
It comes in capsules in the pharmacy department. They're clear gel capsules with the oil inside. OR you can go to a co-op or health food store and get a little bottle of vitamin E oil. I use it a lot, so that's what I have for the dogs.

we mix in purina puppy chow with some meals so she can slowly start switching to that.
You might consider going to a better dog food. That one isn't very good, has a lot of corn, which isn't good for dogs and can be the source of allergies. Not to mention that the food just isn't nutritionally very good for the dog.

The Dog Food Analysis website lists a lot of good foods. Did the puppy start itching when she started eating the Purina?

now i'm asking about the breeding... what is wrong with breeding them? other than the fact that the world is over-populated with puppies/dogs as it is. is it just asking for trouble (health-wise)? don't leave anything out... i need to know all i can now before i get her.
Well, there are several issues. The overpopulation is one. Another one that comes to mind is that Cocker Spaniels have some pretty serious genetic health and temperament issues that might be passed on. My sister-in-law has 2 and one just had her eye removed and neither of them are very healthy, physically or emotionally. She has put a LOT of money into those dogs because she didn't get them from a responsible breeder and the parents weren't health tested.

When someone breeds responsibly, they get the mating pair tested for these issues so they don't pass these defects on to their progeny.

Cocker Spaniel Health Issues

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Aw... She's so little and cute. :)
aw thank you. :)

It comes in capsules in the pharmacy department. They're clear gel capsules with the oil inside. OR you can go to a co-op or health food store and get a little bottle of vitamin E oil. I use it a lot, so that's what I have for the dogs.
ok i will check that out. thank you for the great tip!

You might consider going to a better dog food. That one isn't very good, has a lot of corn, which isn't good for dogs and can be the source of allergies. Not to mention that the food just isn't nutritionally very good for the dog.

The Dog Food Analysis website lists a lot of good foods. Did the puppy start itching when she started eating the Purina?
you would think the vet would have told us it's not that great. she said it was fine. wow. i even asked if her food could be causing this and she said and i quote... "dogs usually don't develop allergies until after they are at least one year in age." i thought that was bull! i have never heard of that but because she is a vet i didn't think anything about the food. i will see about getting better food. and you can bet we'll be going to a different vet from now on. again, you are a life saver! thank you!

Well, there are several issues. The overpopulation is one. Another one that comes to mind is that Cocker Spaniels have some pretty serious genetic health and temperament issues that might be passed on. My sister-in-law has 2 and one just had her eye removed and neither of them are very healthy, physically or emotionally. She has put a LOT of money into those dogs because she didn't get them from a responsible breeder and the parents weren't health tested.

When someone breeds responsibly, they get the mating pair tested for these issues so they don't pass these defects on to their progeny.

Cocker Spaniel Health Issues
this is the mom's first time having puppies, and i don't think it was expected. if i really wanted to speak my mind i would have said she needs to get them fixed/neutered once the puppies are separated from her. BUT i don't want to overstep my boundaries. i know spaniels have a tendency to have dry skin and bad teeth... but i also know if you raise them well NOW you will have less of those problems later. (at least some).

OH another question:

should his sister be eventually having her spend less and less time with her family so she can get used to being away from them? i doubt we should just up and take her away from them without having a process of some kind.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
"dogs usually don't develop allergies until after they are at least one year in age."
Actually, this is true. USUALLY. So your vet may not be full of it. :) But I'm just trying to cover all the bases. When I hear of someone feeding Purina, I ALWAYS suggest a better nutritional food.

should she be eventually having her spend less and less time with her family so she can get used to being away from them? i doubt we should just up and take away from them without having a process of some kind.
Most puppies are just taken away in one step. They are pretty adaptable and as long as you're patient and loving to the pup (which I know you will be!) it will be fine to just take her home on the day.

In the meantime, you could do some reading. Read all the stickies (at the top of the forums) in The First Time Dog Owner Forum. Those will help you a lot in your first days. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I can say my dog and one of his littermates had allergies well before they were one...... not sure if it's a 'usual' thing but it happens *lol. I do have to say how great it is that your taking such an interest in your puppy!!!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, this is true. USUALLY. So your vet may not be full of it. :) But I'm just trying to cover all the bases. When I hear of someone feeding Purina, I ALWAYS suggest a better nutritional food.
Haha well I guess I didn't give her enough credit. lol. Oops.

Most puppies are just taken away in one step. They are pretty adaptable and as long as you're patient and loving to the pup (which I know you will be!) it will be fine to just take her home on the day.
Ok because for the past few nights she's been putting her in her bedroom instead of with the other pups and she's been really great. barely whines at all. maybe i'll suggest to hold off on doing that every night.

In the meantime, you could do some reading. Read all the stickies (at the top of the forums) in The First Time Dog Owner Forum. Those will help you a lot in your first days. :)
I've already gotten started on that. It's helped a lot already. :) This forum is a life saver!!! :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can say my dog and one of his littermates had allergies well before they were one...... not sure if it's a 'usual' thing but it happens *lol. I do have to say how great it is that your taking such an interest in your puppy!!!!!
I have to say I'm a huge dog lover and a lover of animals in general. :D I cried when my boyfriend suggested maybe not getting her because of her dry skin. I said that's not reason not to get her when we've already decided on her since she was 3 days old! I consider her ours already.

·
Registered
467 Posts
My dog developed allergies before she was a year old, so I guess it happens. And FWIW, our vet doesn't really think it is necessary to do an allergy test because they are expensive and pretty inconclusive and you can treat them naturally whether they have allergies or not, so we never bothered.

We switched foods to Taste of the Wild and it has made such a difference.

But, be forewarned -- an itchy dog can be difficult to deal with. Pepper has kept us up all night long with her scratching.

One thing to be aware of, too, is that spaniels are prone to ear infections, and that can cause major itching, too. Pepper has been getting ear infections since she was about 4 months old. We keep the ear cleaning stuff on hand all the time.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My dog developed allergies before she was a year old, so I guess it happens. And FWIW, our vet doesn't really think it is necessary to do an allergy test because they are expensive and pretty inconclusive and you can treat them naturally whether they have allergies or not, so we never bothered.

We switched foods to Taste of the Wild and it has made such a difference.

But, be forewarned -- an itchy dog can be difficult to deal with. Pepper has kept us up all night long with her scratching.

One thing to be aware of, too, is that spaniels are prone to ear infections, and that can cause major itching, too. Pepper has been getting ear infections since she was about 4 months old. We keep the ear cleaning stuff on hand all the time.
Is that dog food only for puppies too or just adult dogs? I am prepared for ear infections because my last dog I had (when I lived with my parents. It was our family dog) he had lots of ear problems and I was in charge of helping my mom keep them clean and I'd put his ear drops in his ears. So far she seems to just be itching the back of her ears and not the inside. They look good and not red at all. I'm prepared to take care of her no matter what. She's my baby now. :) Plus my boyfriend is out of work right now so he will be the one with her during the day and getting up with her at night.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
^ Taste of the Wild is an all-life stages food, meaning it can be fed to puppies, adults and senior dogs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Our little bugger was pretty itchy as well. Turns out she had puppy mange. Do a Google search on it. We treated her with oral Ivemectrin for a few weeks and now is doing just fine.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
hmm i don't know what that is but i'll google it now. thank you all for your responses! :)

i'm not too sure if that's it. her skin isn't red and she doesn't have hair loss. is she too young to have that? she will be 5 weeks this friday.

actually i just realized her mom has random bald spots and she does itch. she probably shouldn't be breeding. but i'm still keeping my puppy. could she itch and then later see hair loss or does the hair loss come first?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I have an update on our puppy. His sister is getting evicted from her house on Friday (that's tomorrow people!) (that's a WHOLE other story that I won't get into) and failed to tell us until last night. Let's just say I was a ball bag and freaking out. Not only did I get the news that we'd be forced to take her 3-5 weeks early, but I also learned that the last pup she has is going to have to go to the pound. I'm not sure why she isn't taking the pup to the human society but my BF said he thinks you have to pay to take a dog there. I don't know if that's true. And if she can't find anyone to watch the mom by Friday until they get a new place, it too, will go to the pound. If I could afford all three they'd be with me in a second, but I can't.

PLEASE don't judge me for his sister's actions. We DO have money and CAN afford things. Our puppy will be well taken care of, believe me. So last night I stayed up way passed my bedtime calling everyone I know that would want the pup or the mom. As I figured it would happen, people want the pup but no one wants the adult dog. And she too has skin issues so that's another reason why people don't want her. But she's a lovely dog, she really is.

I cried half the night last night worrying about what's going to happen to them. I am very emotional when it comes to pets. My BF said it's not up to me to decide where they go, but I think if I can put them in a good home (at least one of them) I will know that I at least tried my hardest. My mom said someone at her work is looking for an adult dog and has tried the pound but is on the waiting list. She's going to talk to her today.

Sorry for the long post guys, this is just really weighing on me hard.

I'll keep ya posted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow...that's a lot to handle, especially for a new puppy owner. What a sad situation for all involved.

I wanted to add a few things to hopefully get you started well with the new addition to your family. I almost hate to say that I used to breed dogs because this forum can be harsh...but I used to breed dogs, responsibly and all went to great homes. We bred healthy dogs and educated all new owners. In fact, although it has been many years, we still get phone calls and correspondence from many of these folks...and many have become dear friends.

Puppies go through a lot when they are taken from their mom...even into the best new homes. The stress of leaving mom and siblings can be an adjustment and it can be stressful...even good changes cause a certain level of stress. Stress can cause a pup's immune system to take a dive. And, as a result, things like demodectic mange (which is an immune system issue), digestive issues, etc. can happen.

Think of your puppy as an "infant"'. He will need a lot of down time, napping. He will need a lot of snuggling, because he used to get that from his siblings. He will also need the best of nutrition, as he had a perfect diet when nursing. And, to keep his immune system strong and to keep him from succumbing to some of those issues, feed the best you can find. We also used a lamb replacer powdered milk with puppies who were struggling to keep on weight or to wean well. And, we added dinovite to every meal for the mom and the pups. It's a supplement that has so many things for the immune system and for the digestive trac. Our moms never looked skinny or patchy...always had great weight, great milk and great coat and skin. Our pups had incredible coats and skin and were the picture of health.

We used to give our new puppy families a large 2 gallon ziplock of the food we were feeding (and there were several we used with good success...just check the protein and fat levels and the ingredient list) which would last them at least 2 weeks, plus a jar of dinovit supplement. We also suggested the use of fish oil and now we buy the fish oil from the same supplement company. It actually comes with it because it works in conjunction with each other. So, now I put that on our dogs' food as well.

The fish oil is good for the skin...and so many other things. I personally take fish oil capsules for brain function. The supplement has so many great things for digestion, immune system, etc.

I also use lavender essential oil as a calming agent. Just a drop on a "snugglie" toy works great.

As your dog matures, I would suggest continuing on a meat based, quality food and supplements to avoid "allergies" and chronic ear issues. Especially make sure that the meats outweigh the grains in your dog's food. The excess carbohydrates in your dog's diet are converted to sugar in your dog's system...and yeast's favorite food is sugar! So, avoid carbs and avoid the yeast issues.

Just keep reading and educating yourself. Keep asking questions. You will learn as you go along and this will be a wonderful experience for you and your family.

Wow...I am so sorry this is so long. I am new to the forum thing but really love sharing what I do know...and am learning so many new things from many of you.

Puppies are such a joy and should NOT be a source of bancruptcy and frustration :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts