Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Panzer has a vet apt coming up, but I figured I would ask here as well. He seems to itch a lot specifically on his stomach. He doesn't have fleas, no hair loss, and his skin looks good, not flaky. I'm feeding grain inclusive Fromm large breed puppy food and was thinking maybe that was the problem so I'm going to be switching to grain free Fromm to see if it helps. We're still transitioning so it's too early to tell if it's making a difference.

Since he scratches mostly on his stomach I was thinking it could be a contact allergy, but can't think of anything that would cause it. Any thoughts? Do you think it would be worth it to have an allergy test done?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
When I went to the vet with Sterling for his 'meet the vet and general check up after getting him' appointment (or his 2nd round of boosters, I can't remember for the life of me lol) I asked the vet and she did mention that puppies are VERY dramatic about an itch, so the over-itching could just be a puppy thing. It's also starting to become allergy season, and there's less hair on his tummy, so that may be a thing too, especially if he likes to lie in grass. I know if I scratch Sterling's stomach his leg ALWAYS goes because it's just THE best spot to scratch him. If you're still concerned though there's never any harm in asking the vet's opinion, especially if you've already got an appointment anyway.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks maybe it's normal. It's not excessive scratching, but he does seem to be overly itchy. I'll talk to the vet when we go in.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Both of my dogs were itchy as puppies, especially on their bellies. It went away on its own as they got a little older. My vet concurred that "sometimes puppies are just itchy and you never find a cause". I definitely wouldn't do an allergy test just yet.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Allergy testing is super expensive... so I wouldn't go there *yet*.
Toby is super itchy right now too, his face, neck, paws and belly are all gross right now because he's scratching so much. It could be just the seasons changing, or it could be a food allergy.... I'd see how things go with your switch and talk to the vet in a few weeks if you're not seeing improvement - Sooner if he starts breaking the skin.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both of my dogs were itchy as puppies, especially on their bellies. It went away on its own as they got a little older. My vet concurred that "sometimes puppies are just itchy and you never find a cause". I definitely wouldn't do an allergy test just yet.
Oh good to know it's not uncommon. I was afraid that everyone at puppy class would think I brought in a puppy with fleas or something.

Allergy testing is super expensive... so I wouldn't go there *yet*.
Toby is super itchy right now too, his face, neck, paws and belly are all gross right now because he's scratching so much. It could be just the seasons changing, or it could be a food allergy.... I'd see how things go with your switch and talk to the vet in a few weeks if you're not seeing improvement - Sooner if he starts breaking the skin.
I was thinking it could have something to do with the time of year as well. His skin looks great and it's not red so hopefully it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Oh good to know it's not uncommon. I was afraid that everyone at puppy class would think I brought in a puppy with fleas or something.
Watson was so bad that he kept us up at night scratching for a couple weeks. Hazel wasn't as bad, but there were a few weeks that she was bothering her stomach a lot. Both grew out of it with no other intervention from me. So I think it's probably pretty normal.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I think it's normal too. Thistle was super itchy at 5 and 6 months. She's
71/2 months now and the itching has abated a lot. I used a very soft
cat brush on her (still do) not for grooming, but to scratch her.
Brings relief, especially in those hard to reach places.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Weird. I'd never heard of it before. Ryker wasn't itchy at all. I wonder what makes some puppies more itchy than others.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
There is a thing called the puppy itchies. Some puppies just itch a bit. I would keep an eye on it, but don't panic yet. You'll know if they are really allergies closer to 6mo-1year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts