Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Jack has been having itchy paws I think. He licks and chews them, but mostly chews. I thought maybe that I had missed clipping a nail and it has irritating him but they are all a "normal" length. No floor clicking. I don't think it is the nails. But after searching a bit, I came up with yeast. Does anyone have any experience with this? His feet don't smell particularly yeasty, but I wouldn't really know what that smells like. I read somewhere it can smell a bit like fritos if they have yeast in their paws. He likes to chew all paws, it isn't just one. All four have been itching I think.

We started raw a few weeks ago so all he has been eating is chicken and chicken bone, no other proteins. I was going to try turkey last week but Jack has some tummy issues to we have been putting that off. Jack has also had gas, so I am wondering if it has something to do with the chicken. I know we are still in the very beginning stages of raw, but would I be seeing symptoms of chicken allergy/intolerance this early? I thought the gas was just him transitioning, but now with the itchy paws I am thinking it could be more. Are itchy paws at all a side effect of the kibble to raw "detox"? He was on Purina for 7 months before I bought him. I was thinking that could also be why he has been more sensitive. My older dog had to switch from 75% canned wellness and 25% TOTW kibble to raw so I think she had less of a shock to her system.

I have heard of doing a vinegar soak for yeasty paws. Would it be OK to try that and see if it helps anything even if I am not sure it is actually yeast? I don't think it would do anything harmful, but I am not sure. How do you so vinegar soaks anyways?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Have had 2 dogs with BAD allergies-- and unfortuantly itchy paws was a major symptom-- the first dog had pollen allergies and her paws would itch and she would lick and chew them thus contributing to yeast in her pads/ bet her toes and eventually they would swell once to the size of oranges-- it was really chronic-- she had a whole regimen of antihistamines (Bendadryl, Atarax) and when it got super bad we would take her in for a shot of COrtisol/ by mouth Prednisone pills-- but these are Steroids and have a whole list of side effects-- they did quickly resolve the problem though.
The second dog had food allergies (we took him to a canine immuologist) and did the whole food elimination thing for a year (he looked like a bag of bones-- he was a Boxer and they are often skinny as pups to begin with)-- and finally came up with a home made diet for him that worked-- FISH Cottage cheese rice. Later on we were able to get him on a Venison kibble but mostly cooked for him for years-- By the way in addition to the itchy paws, he would also get bumps all over his body and the vet gave us a prescription CHlorahexidene wash that worked great (it kills the yeast and sometimes the secondary bacterial growth that occurs)-- but allergies are a lifelong condition-- you just have to figure out a regime that works for your dog-- Good luck...

PS -- all poultry was a major allergen for the Boxer (even duck) as well as lamb-- you have to eliminate everything the dog has previously eaten and poultry, beef, lamb are common ingredients in kibble ( even their fats)... You can still do raw, just switch to a protein your dog hasnt been exposed to before (rabbit, goat?, even squirrel I suppose if you have access to them... I grew up in Arkansas and squirrel hunting was popular there....)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I second allergies. Food allergies show up in odd places in dogs, or maybe it's just that a dog can't tell you his tummy hurts. Chewing at the feet is a major sign of allergies, and chicken is a very common allergen (probably just because it's such a common ingredient in dog food). I'd switch to a different protein, something she hasn't been exposed to, like fish or venison. As to whether you can do that raw or not depends on your situation and the money and access you do or don't have. If you have to switch back to kibble, Wellness and TOTW are both great brands and have nonchicken formulas.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I second allergies. Food allergies show up in odd places in dogs, or maybe it's just that a dog can't tell you his tummy hurts. Chewing at the feet is a major sign of allergies, and chicken is a very common allergen (probably just because it's such a common ingredient in dog food). I'd switch to a different protein, something she hasn't been exposed to, like fish or venison. As to whether you can do that raw or not depends on your situation and the money and access you do or don't have. If you have to switch back to kibble, Wellness and TOTW are both great brands and have nonchicken formulas.
I was thinking it was a food allergy too. Since he has only been on chicken I guess it is a chicken allergy lol. I just wasn't sure if the gas/itching were effects of the transition from kibble to raw or an actual allergy starting to show up. I would prefer to stick with raw, and I am totally fine with going with a different protein. It has only been a few weeks of raw though so I have to start adding in turkey soon. I was planning on doing that this week, and what I planned on doing was feeding chicken that morning and turkey at night, and if they had no problems with that do it for a few weeks, or like turkey one day, chicken the next. Then in a few weeks add in fish and rotate between the chicken, turkey, and fish until I add in another protein like beef, etc.

From what you guys have said I think he is intolerant of chicken, I guess even in its raw state. If he seems to do good on the turkey should I just cut out the chicken for him altogether? I am worried about cutting out the chicken too fast and making his tummy upset from new protein. If it is a chicken allergy, what can I do for their bones? My biggest is 8 pounds and I am pretty sure the biggest bone he can chomp through are the chicken drummette bones. If I have to cut out chicken for him what can I do to supply the 10% bone? I would like to do real bone rather than eggshell or bonemeal.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hmm how about pork? Here in Chinatown (we live in a Big city)-- they sell pig tails-- chewy gristly full of collagen (connective tissues that supply Chondreitin which is an expensive supplement) you could chunk up a pig tail into sections to make it easier... and maybe your dogs could ingest that, maybe you could find a source for pigtails, or again rabbit bones would be very comparable to chicken bones-- I would stay away from turkey though -- its very close to chicken.... You could try it I guess and see if your pup reacts to it... Is worth a shot! Good luck....

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I would go cold 'turkey'(sorry the pun) and go to a complete different protein source. Lamb, venison, rabbit, goat and try to stay away from poultry altogether.

Sounds like your guy is allergic to chicken and not a transition thing going on. Also stay away from raw fish and pork.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would go cold 'turkey'(sorry the pun) and go to a complete different protein source. Lamb, venison, rabbit, goat and try to stay away from poultry altogether.

Sounds like your guy is allergic to chicken and not a transition thing going on. Also stay away from raw fish and pork.
Any reasons why? I have heard it is ok.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Any reasons why? I have heard it is ok.
store bought pork safer and if frozen prior to feeding. Risk of Trichinellosis. Rare but why take the chance when there are other safer meats to try.

“Canids (dogs / coyotes ) are the only species susceptible to salmon poisoning excert from http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/must_cook_salmon_for_dogs.htm again why risk it when there are others things to try first. Tuna high in mercury for dogs

because of these known risk I would try other kinds of meats before I try these items.

·
Registered
95 Posts
store bought pork safer and if frozen prior to feeding. Risk of Trichinellosis. Rare but why take the chance when there are other safer meats to try.

“Canids (dogs / coyotes ) are the only species susceptible to salmon poisoning excert from http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/must_cook_salmon_for_dogs.htm again why risk it when there are others things to try first. Tuna high in mercury for dogs

because of these known risk I would try other kinds of meats before I try these items.

You're right. Please stay away from TROUT and SALMON, esp. the ones caught in the Pacific Northwest. They might contain a parasitic fluke that is deadly only to dogs. Cats are unaffected. I feed sardines. Whole sardines. Not the canned variety. Sardines are very cheap and tasty.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I definitely heard about the fish thing, but not pork, since I thought the trich disease was basically eradicated in the US?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It sounds like allergies to me. Have you tried a fish formula? Zeus couldn’t handle chicken, duck, or turkey. We tried so many things but finally got him on a limited ingredient diet of sweet potato & fish (natural balance brand). Once we found this to work – we haven’t given him anything else (besides the cans and treats to match) and he hasn’t had a problem since. I feel like fish is the perfect protein for Zeus, and his coat is so shiny and beautiful too! Good luck!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He doesn't eat kibble. He is on raw, I was just worried about going from chicken to turkey too fast.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
how long have you been feeding raw?

there are times when newly transitioned dogs go through a kind of detox and things seem off but a few weeks can take care of it.

once his stools are stable on chicken, i'd be moving forward to turkey, then pork (and yes, pork is safe, just watch out for enhanced products)

the same goes for chicken. if it is enhanced, then your dog can get the itchies.

look at the nutrition panel and make sure the sodium level is under 100 mg per 4 ounce serving for any food you buy.

if there is an allergy to chicken and it's rare that there is....then move on to turkey because they aren't the same.

then pork, then fish, then tiny tiny pieces of beef, then organs...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How long do I let the itching go on before I can tell whether it is allergies or just transitioning?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
you do everything you can to figure out what it is and how to fix it....adding acv to his water, realising that it's environmental and there's not thing one you can do about it, not really...

you can keep going with transition.....once my dogs did okay with red meat, they haven't been fed chicken since.

i will give them quail that i get from my chinese grocer but no chicken...because all chickens are fed soy....and i think it is the least nutritious of all the proteins.

what makes chicken so appealing is the softness of the bones....and it's a good thing because dogs don't have that muscle and tooth and jaw strength in the beginning....

if you're not noticing itchiness with turkey, i would cut back on the chicken, but remember you're just starting.....

so you could be dealing with an environmental allergy, that has nothing to do with chicken....or you could be dealing with a lack of dietary fat, which you will do something about as you progress...

or you could be dealing with an allergy to chicken, although i doubt it...it's more rare than you think...mostly it's transition....and i believe you only started at the end of february, so he's new to all of this.

keep going....get some bragg's acv and apply it to his feet. see if that helps....

add a little fat into his diet...like if you're buying whole chickens and cutting them up, the tail end, the tush is all fat....give that to him as part of his meal.

and, as you get more and more into fattier foods, this may well go away. i would hate to see him never get chicken because he's small and the bones are very edible....because we associated itchy feet with an allergy.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think for now I am going to rotate between chicken and turkey, add a little fat, and get some braggs acv ( love their amino acids lol). I think I was just too quick to think allergies. It really hasn't been that long, and I had been taking off most of the fatty skin of the chicken. Should I just always leave it on? I would hate for him to never eat chicken either, he really likes it!

·
Registered
717 Posts
About the allergy issue-- if it keeps up-- if you can afford it you can go to a canine allergy vet and he will actually do very small injections of possible allergens and you can find out what your dog is allergic to-- that is why we knew dog1 was allergic to pollens (tree pollens actually) and not food, and that dog2 had very specific food allergies-- poultry, beef, lamb, as well as wool (we had wool carpets and he would get contact dermatitis from them).
--and take it from there.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I think for now I am going to rotate between chicken and turkey, add a little fat, and get some braggs acv ( love their amino acids lol). I think I was just too quick to think allergies. It really hasn't been that long, and I had been taking off most of the fatty skin of the chicken. Should I just always leave it on? I would hate for him to never eat chicken either, he really likes it!
i would start slowly adding in the fatty skin of the chicken.

i no longer feed chicken because i feed more red meats, that's the only reason....i feed quail instead of chicken for bone....

i do not mean to be disrespectful to anyone on this board, but i really do think allergy testing of raw fed dogs is inaccurate...however, if you want to give it a go, by all means, do your own research on it. mine turned up information that made me want to look for other things.

for now, yes, chicken and turkey, but that's not a well rounded diet for future.....but what you're doing now is great.....just go slowly with fat...and tiny amounts of acv...simply because he's a little guy...:)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok I feel so much better. I will probably not do the allergy testing, it doesn't really seem necessary at this point.

Yeah in the future chicken will be a very minimal part of his diet.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I definitely heard about the fish thing, but not pork, since I thought the trich disease was basically eradicated in the US?
I trust someone who participates in studies, conducts studies and has devoted his teaching to pet nutrition. That his findings are based on facts and not hearsay.
sorry had to find notes from recent conference. Raw pork okay if frozen for at least 3 months reasons why:
about 15% of the pork tested were infected with t. gondii this only a link to explain t. gondii and source of infection http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/swine/facts/04-055.htm
yes the numbers have been reduced but still a risk why risk your pet to this
risk of pseudorabies http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/infectious-parasitic/c_multi_pseudorabies_virus_infection
yes another risk of feeding raw pork to your dog
trichinella spirallis http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/infectious-parasitic/c_multi_pseudorabies_virus_infection

all these diseases have been reduced by control and spreading the word about eating raw pork. Like I said before, I would not risk it with other available meats that do not carry as much risk.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts