Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dog have been itching like crazy. She's been to the vet a few times for her itching. They gave her medication to help stop the itching twice and it worked but when she stopped the medication, the itching startd again. She's going to have an alergy test done in a couple weeks to see what she's alergic to.

I think it might be her food. She was on natrual balance but I wanted her on a senior (she's about 11 years old) dog food. The vet's office told me to put her on science diet. After reading so much about this food, I took her off science diet and started feeding her blue buffalo.

The vet's office said they don't think she has a food allegy. They think it's environmental and that switching her food before finding out what she's alergic to is a bad idea.

Why should I wait 2 weeks to try to help my dog from itching so much? I don't think changing her food is a big deal.

It's only been 3 days since I changed her food. If it is her food that is making her itch, how long before she should stop itching?

If it was environmental, I would think it would be seasonal and not year round.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Bernice

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
This may or may not be useful in your situation, but adding a little more fat to Sydney's diet helped with her itchiness. I thought she had some sort of allergy but she's been on foods of all types with 18+ percent fat and the itching has not returned. I think it took about a month to notice a real difference, going from Whole Earth Farms to Taste of the Wild.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'd put her on a grain free alternative protein food like taste of the wild high prairie formula. Should see a difference in about 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
What Blue Buffalo is your dog on? If its a senior formula, dogs don't need senior foods. Most of them are too low in protein.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Our dog have been itching like crazy. She's been to the vet a few times for her itching. They gave her medication to help stop the itching twice and it worked but when she stopped the medication, the itching startd again. She's going to have an alergy test done in a couple weeks to see what she's alergic to.

I think it might be her food. She was on natrual balance but I wanted her on a senior (she's about 11 years old) dog food. The vet's office told me to put her on science diet. After reading so much about this food, I took her off science diet and started feeding her blue buffalo.

The vet's office said they don't think she has a food allegy. They think it's environmental and that switching her food before finding out what she's alergic to is a bad idea.

Why should I wait 2 weeks to try to help my dog from itching so much? I don't think changing her food is a big deal.

It's only been 3 days since I changed her food. If it is her food that is making her itch, how long before she should stop itching?

If it was environmental, I would think it would be seasonal and not year round.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Bernice
Whether it is the food or environmental, she is good to be off Science Diet. It has terrible ingredients. Maybe compare all the food she has eaten and see if they have a common ingredient, like beef or rice or something. If so, try a food that does not have that ingredient. Beef and chicken seem to be common allergens, and a grain free formula could help as well.

Like inkedmarie said, dogs don't need senior foods. In fact, many of the senior foods can be harmful because they have less protein and a senior dog needs higher protein for their muscles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts