Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay it seems these days that any dog someone is afraid of is a pit bull. Have you noticed this.

Now I have a relative that any dog she is afraid of she calls a Pit bull. Even the neighbors Great Pyranese and the other neighbors french bull dog. Yet she met this one dog that she thought was wonderful (and she doesn't know this) but it turned out to be a pit bull.

My toy poodle was barking the other day and this kid yelled at him as he ran off "Stupid Fluffy Pit Bull"

Obviously if adults don't know what a Pit bull is there kids won't either.

I've noticed this more and more that any dog that barks, growls, or jumps is a Pit bull even if they aren't.

Have you noticed that?

Just curious

·
Registered
760 Posts
Abby do you ever read any of the "pit bull" threads on here? Just curious cause the answer to your questions has been talked about hundreds of times on here........ This type of stuff is what most APBT owners get mad about... forgot to add what pamperedpups said about them using it as a description I didn't even think of it that way. My comment was more thinking they just really thought those dogs were pit bulls

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Bully breeds are often thought to be Pit Bulls, but it sounds more like the people you've heard are using "Pit Bull" as a description rather than thinking every dog they are afraid of is actually a Pit Bull.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
no i never have read any of the threads. I am not a pit bull owner so I've never seen the point. But I'm noticing more and more that dogs that aren't APBT are being called that and it doesn't seem right. And it seems more and more people know less and less about dogs

I'm just saying if a 10 year old kid thinks a poodle is a pit bull this world is in a world of hurt

the other day someone called my uncles lab a pit bull (because she was out in the fence) I don't understand the logic there. but we are in hickville so ( I can call it that because I'm from here)

·
Registered
760 Posts
maybe you should go back and read some of the "pit bull" threads the world is already in a world of hurt when it comes to the APBT breed............ Just saying your beating a dead horse on this one.......... DF does have a search button at the top of the screen you should probably try and use it and do some research on the actual APBT breed you will be amazed at what kind of hurt this breed is really in.......

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already know. They are being killed due to BSL and stuff. I don't agree with BSL. I'm just saying I can't believe how many ignorant people are out there. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced that or overheard that. I know the breed is not favored. But its not going to get any better if people don't even know what a pit bull is. Is all I'm saying. I have really no interest in the breed myself. Not my cup of tea but I'm well aware of the issues. Infact JRTs are becoming at risk now and I'm concerned about that. I know about the media portrayal and all the issues. I know several cities have banned them. We live in a Pit bull safe county. Like I said they aren't my cup of tea. I don't really read the threads because I never plan on ever owning one

I feel you shouldn't ban a dog breed because of a few dogs. I'm against breed banning. I'm against ignorance which I'm seeing more and more of.

Maybe its just this town I dont' know

·
Super Moderator
11,682 Posts
Nope. I checked the police report and nobody thought the dogs raising **** in my yard were pit bulls. They just thought they were making too much noise.

They were probably right.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I thought YOU want to work with dogs??? Well, if you are going to, you HAVE to know about pit bulls. Being knowledgeable about every breed of dogs is important if YOU are considering a dog related career.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
"Well, if you are going to, you HAVE to know about pit bulls. Being knowledgeable about every breed of dogs is important if YOU are considering a dog related career." -Mudra

Abby part of the problem is people don't care to know and familiarize themselves with what they are talking about before they talk about it. Please take the above words to heart so that you don't make the same mistake.

my two cents.

·
Registered
760 Posts
and Abby if you see it pointless to read about a breed of dog why start a thread about it? and yes I agree with Mudra and Zim you should educate yourself about dogs in general if you plan to work with them.............

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
abby, I think I understand what you are trying to say....a lot of people use the term "pit bull" way too freely ....sometimes good/sometimes bad...to describe a type of behavior...it sucks :mad:

...but I would read a thread about toy poodles even thought I would never own one.....like you said just not my cup of tea :).....but there might be something I can learn :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well I'll read up later. It now doesn't look like I'm going to be working with animals for a very long time. (long story)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Abby honestly and please don't take this the wrong way but you need to try and educate yourself alot more about dogs in general before you can start to work with other peoples dogs.............. I mean you are having so many problems with your own dogs that you can't figure out much less try to give advice to other owners......... and making comments on how pointless it is to read about other breeds because you don't own them isn't going to get you far in a career where you work with all kinds of diff. dogs............ again that is just my opinion

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Like I said it doesn't matter anymore it doesn't look like I'm going to get the chance to work with dogs now. And my problems are minor. Heck it just gives me something to complain about. I know I tend to make it sound worse than it is. I'm 22 years old and these are for all intensive purposes my first dogs.

I worry about everything with them. From the tiniest cough to barking at squirells

although I want to know how this thread ended up being an attack on me....this isn't about me I had a legitimate thread and you turned it.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
well abbymarie, you wouldn't have to worry so much if aside from venting here, you are also doing some research. Internet is a very powerful tool, just google something and there will be alot of information that'll be readily available for you.

As a dog owner, we have to educate ourselves, whether we are going to have a dog related career or not. Its important that we know and study our OWN dogs very well and its not gunna hurt to know about OTHER breeds as well even if you dont own them. It is fun to read about other people's experience with their dogs and there's always a thing or two that you can pick up and apply to your dogs.

·
Registered
760 Posts
First of all Abby if you go back and read my reply's I told you to not take them in the wrong way........ I am in no way attacking YOU...... All I am doing is trying help you educate yourself on the diff. dog breeds thier are before you jump into a career of working with dogs that you know nothing about and start handing out advice that's not true......... And again you may have a legit. question that can be answered in the hundreds of other "pit bull" threads if you did some searching.............. How do you plan to work with dogs if you won't simply do the research yourself...........I have seen several of your threads where people have given you some great advice but instead of using it or applying it you shot it all down........

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have educated myself about poodles since I own one. Can't really learn much about mutts but I've researched her breeds. and I read plenty about the breeds I like. But I'm not hear to defend myself. I did not think this thread would become so bad. None of this has to do with my question or point. This is wrong and mean. You basically used my thread against me and I'm very upset about that. And I think its time I sign off and not come back for awhile.

I would love to be a vet tech unfortunately circumstances aren't going to allow that. I have to settle for something else right now (besides vet tech isn't that more medical . Don't i just need to know medical)

Still its not about me. Thank you for driving me away

·
Registered
760 Posts
besides vet tech isn't that more medical . Don't i just need to know medical)
Of course not all you need to know is the medical stuff you don't even have to know the diff. in a cat or a dog is that what you want to hear? Sorry Abby but all I'm doing is trying to help you out and your getting all defensive about it........... If you can't handle someone trying to help educate you then how are you going to make it through school....... you can't just give up because you feel like your being attacked just because someone doesn't agree with you or tries to show you a better way at doing something..... Thicken up you skin a little and try to educate yourself that's all any of us have said....... Stop getting so defensive when people try to help you is all

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Abby, try not to take it as a personal attack on you. You post a lot about you and your dog..so you tend to open yourself up for more criticism that way (i would think) if the situation allows.

But, to answer your question. Yes, people are ignorant. VERY IGNORANT. Being that you are 22, it seems as you are beginning to become aware and realize that most people are pretty stupid.

Do yourself a favor, and educate yourself so that you don't come across in the same manner (not that you are :)...i don't mean that YOU are). Do some reading about the breed so that the next time you hear a kid or someone else saying these types of things...you can offer some good information about what a pit bull really is. And with your wealth of knowledge from reading about the breed, you will be able to answer questions more reliably and give out accurate information :)

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.