Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh...

A little precursor to this all. If you've ever had a chinchilla, you know they're very smart little creatures. In order to keep them entertained, you have to change up their enclosure quite often and provide them a lot of mental stimulation. So yesterday we went to the pet shop to find Scout some new things to play with. I got a few new versions of her old favorites. I found a ball (which she has already completely destroyed) and then I bought a cool big parrot toy with some pieces of wood on it and a bell at the bottom. She LOVES the bell toys and hers were getting rather chewed up and disgusting looking. So I removed one of her three other bells and put up the new one. To me it sounded exactly like the old ones.

Anyways, the bell toy was a very big hit. Chinnies do this excited jumping around when they find something cool. She has been ringing that bell for HOURS. Nonstop. She's upstairs though so it's not a problem and we can't hear it. The problem? Apparently that bell annoys all the dogs. To me it sounded identical to the rest (which the dogs ignore by now) but apparently to them it sounds different. Every time she rings this bell, the dogs start barking and growling and carrying on like there's an intruder in the house. I've tried letting them upstairs to see it's her making the noise, but it won't work. They're driving me crazy! And I very well can't take Scout's favorite new toy away from her after she got so excited about it.

Hopefully they'll begin to ignore it...

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
That's odd.
If I were in your shoes, I'd take the bell out and ring it while playing with the pooches. Ya know, get them used to it/positive association type thing.

·
Banned
749 Posts
That's odd.
If I were in your shoes, I'd take the bell out and ring it while playing with the pooches. Ya know, get them used to it/positive association type thing.
Might be a good idea except I would not feed them any treats while doing that. If they are given treats when you ring the bell and then give it back to the chinchilla every time they hear the bell they would come running to you looking for a treat :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a Green Cheeked Conure who LOVES this one specific bell ever since she was three months old. If I remove the toy with the "special bell" she doesn't touch the new toy with new bell, and sulks. I don't even bother trying to get a new bell, I just buy a new toy, and attach the old bell to it. If the old bell from the other old toys didn't bug the dogs you could always switch it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts