Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I just got a 12 week old Akita/German Shepherd pup named Luna from a shelter this past Saturday. She became instantly attached to me (she even walked past the lady who cared for her at the shelter to get to me, the very first time we met). She is a pretty good girl for me, but can be a bit of handful for my husband and brother (my bro lives with us and provides some of Luna's care during the day when we're gone). Obviously, less than a week is NOT enough time for her to adjust, and we're in this for the long haul. She actually is progressing a lot quicker than I anticipated, so that's definitely a good thing!

Luna is so attached to me, that she will whimper for me long after I've gone, even if another person (my brother or my mom - when she was visiting) is there to play with/take care of her. When I'm there, she's content to lay by my feet (though we do a lot of playing, too), but when I'm not, she pretty much ignores anyone else there and looks for me. She does eventually play with the person there (she and my bro apparently had a grand old time playing fetch), but is much more well behaved when I'm home.

We left for work this morning and approximately 7:20am, and my brother was still there, sleeping (or trying to!). He said that she cried pretty loudly constantly until he took her out of the crate at around 10am. It just breaks my heart to think of her crying for me for that long! I just want to double check that this is normal... I do believe she was kenneled with her brother and two sisters so she's completely new to being kenneled alone, so obviously this will be an adjustment.

Yesterday, she did manage to pull a pair of my pajama pants through the bars of the crate, and that seemed to make her happy. Should I give her something that smells like me when we leave in the morning? Are there any other tips/tricks I can use to help make this easier for her? We leave a radio on for her during the day, and also leave the door to the room open so our two cats can go "visit" her. She has a stuffed animal and her favorite toy (Kong Wubba) in there with her, too. I'm afraid she's going to end up hating her crate. :confused:

She sleeps in her crate in our room at night, and is actually pretty good about going to sleep. She whimpers for a short while, then goes to sleep as long as she knows we're in the room.

Any help/advice for a new puppy owner will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
If she won't tear it up, a stuffed toy or old tee-shirt or something can be a good thing. Just make sure she won't tear it up.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Congratulations!

My new puppy would literally scream like she was being killed every time I left the room or the house, so I know how heartbreaking this can feel. A daily routine with some structure can help a lot to make a new dog or puppy feel secure while they adjust to their new home and people. I also kept my comings and goings very low key, ignoring her until she stopped, then opened her crate and started walking toward the door to get her outside to potty. I worked with her on self control, and basic obedience stuff (except for sit! LOL She will be shown in AKC Conformation, and we don't want her sitting!), took her for walks, and used the necessary grooming time with her to bond. It didn't take long for her to get into the groove of daily life, and I'm happy to tell you that she no longer screams like she's being killed when I leave! (Nor does she bolt for the door when I go out for the mail; she sits quietly waiting for me to return. I do, and this is further reassurance that I WILL be back!)

Hang in there, this, too, shall pass!

PS Akitas and GSDs DO tend to bond more closely with one member of the family.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Yes, please stay tough and try, "the not taking pup out of crate when crying" Otherwise pup is doing the training and that never works out like you want it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the responses!!

Yes, please stay tough and try, "the not taking pup out of crate when crying" Otherwise pup is doing the training and that never works out like you want it.
I have a question on this. At night, she is fairly good at going to bed, but whimpers/whines when she has to go potty. As I'm getting out of bed and putting my stuff on (I live in Wisconsin so I have to bundle up!) her whimpering gets more frenzied. Is it okay to take her out at this point in time, when I know she has to go potty? She has peed in her crate before... so if I don't take her out in time she'll just go!

It does seem more like a "Holy crap, mom, I really have to pee!" whine than a "TAKE ME OUT NOW!" demand. We've been getting up at 5am for the day, and sometimes it just happens that she's just gone out at 4 to pee, so she doesn't have to go again. She is nowhere near as frenzied as she is when she actually does have to go.

Also, in the attempt to make her feel more secure/happy in her crate, sometimes I lay down next to her (on the outside of the crate) before I go to bed myself. Is this a big no no?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Thank you for the responses!!

I have a question on this. At night, she is fairly good at going to bed, but whimpers/whines when she has to go potty. As I'm getting out of bed and putting my stuff on (I live in Wisconsin so I have to bundle up!) her whimpering gets more frenzied. Is it okay to take her out at this point in time, when I know she has to go potty? She has peed in her crate before... so if I don't take her out in time she'll just go!

It does seem more like a "Holy crap, mom, I really have to pee!" whine than a "TAKE ME OUT NOW!" demand. We've been getting up at 5am for the day, and sometimes it just happens that she's just gone out at 4 to pee, so she doesn't have to go again. She is nowhere near as frenzied as she is when she actually does have to go.

Also, in the attempt to make her feel more secure/happy in her crate, sometimes I lay down next to her (on the outside of the crate) before I go to bed myself. Is this a big no no?
Don't let her get to the point where she whimpers to go outside. You need to get up every few hours BEFORE she starts whining and let her outside. If you wait til she wakes you up by whining, you are setting her up so that later she may bark at the door incessantly every time she wants to go outside, wether it's to potty or just to play.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts